Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was making a batch of home brew beer yesterday and decided to check out my Dad's cherry trees. They were covered in bees from my two hives located about 100 yards away. Enclosed are two pics from my iPhone. The day was overcast so the light was not conducive to photography.

I think both my hives survived the winter (knock on wood). Too chilly yet for an inspection but maybe next week it will be in the 70's. They are brining in pollen by the bucket full and now I know they are getting nectar too.

Bee pics 2_23_14.jpg Bee pics 2 2_23_14.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am very jealous as it is 21 degrees and the wind chill is -4 with 3 feet of that four letter word on the ground. My bees can’t even take cleansing flights yet! The forecast for the next week here is single digit temps!

·
Registered
315 Posts
How pretty. Great pictures. Thanks for sharing and good luck with your inspections next week!

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Bees must love cherries. Here is a picture of my cherry tree a couple of seasons back:

IMG_0622.jpg

·
Banned
13,203 Posts
We have another week and a half of lake effect predicted. The good sign is the sun comes out between the blizzard conditions and melts some of the fresh snow. The property I manage has many a cherry and crab apple trees but I haven't seen many bees. What time of day does the nectar flow?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Went to check on bees today in almonds and the prunes are blooming next door. That was by Sutter bypass. It was a beautiful day to be a beekeeper. Got so hot I had to work in a tank top.i was in Michigan in dec and jan so I feel your pain to those of you in snow. I went for a couple mile walk in -12 degrees and as long as you are wrapped in down feathers it is not so bad, and UGGS. I almost forgot how much it sucks to shovel snow. Will stay here!

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Our plums and Cherries opened a few days back. Had to hurriedly toss on supers to make sure they had room. I am in the middle of a large cherry orchard, so it seemed a good idea.

·
Registered
318 Posts
In Kentucky, we had the chance to feed bees last week as the temps hit 60-65. Each of my hives took 1/2 gallon.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have some spring forest-forest fruits-meadow honey. Depending of weather we get different honey each spring. In 2013. at my place prevailed wild cherry. I just can say the honey dissapeared fast ( and all asking for more..). I adore in winter to open the jar of that honey and fruit scent spread in the room and reminds me on "near" spring.. Hoping to have some of that honey this spring..

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
We normally have willow right about now, so I guess my willow honey will have cherry in it. Ought to be good if we can keep the blooming going until the next freeze.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Unfortunately these trees only provide for the bees, not for the humans. These are ornamental Cherry trees.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts