Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the boys in town found a bee hive in a pile of old tires. This particular bee hive is in a collapsed tractor tire. I was planning on getting it later this evening but the weather has dropped down into the 60's and promising thunderstorms for most of the weekend. Forecast says 70's with partly cloudy on Sunday.

What does everyone think? Should I try to go get it today or wait until Sunday. This will be my first capture and I'm really wanting to get to it.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
It depends on what time of day and how you plan to get them. Do you plan to remove the combs from the tire? Or do you plan to take the whole tire with you? How big is the colony? Are they AHB? How long have they been in the tire? Not an easy task no matter what.
If you wait until a warmer day, many of the bees will be flying. If you do it on a cool day, you'll get more bees, but you'll probably get stung more. I like to use sugar syrup sprayed on the bees and little smoke I think I'd cut the combs on a warm day, tie them in empty frames with rubber bands or cotton string in a hive body with some brood and honey and then remove the tire and leave the hive there where the tire was for a few days to re-house the bees. Then you could just pick the hive up and take it home.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Do the cutout there. If you try to move it, and get a different angle on the tire, You may break the wild combs loose, and end up with a mess. Use a sawzall to cut the sidewall of the tire out.

·
Registered
211 Posts
If it were me, I'd wait until Sunday. By then, you should have a pretty solid game plan on how you intend on removing them. Good luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks folks! The weather has definately taken a turn for the worse. Misting and cold. Bad weather to try and do a cutout. Not only do I have access to the old tractor tire pile but I have been given another feral hive in an old, abandoned house. Still can't get to it because of weather as well.

The forecast looks bad until Sunday. I'll give it a try then. 30% chance of rain and temps in the 70s. I'll do it under partly cloudy skies.

I do have a queen cell in one of the hives I just bought. I could try to do a cutout and requeen with the queen cell I have in my honeybees.

Bee Vac is completed, tested fine and ready to go. Batteries for Saws-All charged and ready. Now, I just need the weather to cooperate with me.

·
Registered
Possum Valley, TN Bee Wrangler
965 Posts
I think I would go easy with the saws all, it will shake the tire pretty hard and stir up the bees. Take a couple of 2 x 4's and cut short pieces to fit inside of the beads of the tire so they will hold the sidewalls of the tire apart making it easier to work inside of the tire. Might need a flash light also to see better inside of the tire.

I would also wait for better weather and do the cut out of the tire on site.

G3

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will not use the saws-all on the tire. The vibration may overwhelm the comb. I already have shorts pieces of wood to use as "spreaders" to spread the collapsed tire apart again. The wood will keep the tire open while I work on the bees and the comb.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts