Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can believe the girls arent going gaga over the copious ammounts of wild alaska bluberry blossoms. These are the only thing blooming at present. Eating syrup like maniacs.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
Honey bees prefer almost anything to Blueberries, which is one reason you put as many hives per acre to pollinate them as you do. As many as 7 hives per acre according to one migratory beekeeper that I spoke with last year. Many native pollinators deal with blueberries much better.

So I am not surprised the bees aren't going gaga.

How long does blueberry bloom last there and are we talking high or low plants? Is the weather decent for bee flight? Bad weather during pollination (the season lasts 2-3 weeks) is another reason for the high hive count per acre. Bees are rented with the idea that during the season there may be only 2 or 3 days of good flying weather.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I remember reading something about honey bees and blueberries, bees on blueberries become sick, sorta like mild poisen.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
Most of the blueberry bushes I have are pollinated by bumblebees at first then about a week into the bloom season the honeybees start in on them. I have highbush, rabbiteye, and hybrid blueberries. Never saw any of the honeybees getting sick on the blueberries, think it's just a timing thing on when they hit the blueberries.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
I don't think blueberries are poisonous to bees - I believe the pollen is considered incomplete for bee nutrition. Here abouts bees often starve (and die) on blueberries because of poor flight conditions (weather) not because there is anything toxic in the crop. Migratory bees need to go on to other crops after blueberries - they can't be mildly poisoned and do that effectively.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts