Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
Italian breed, 1 colony (my first ever), 10-frame hive
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New hive is 13 days old. Temperature has been close to 90 daytime and 70 night. Is this normal or ok what they are doing or should I check or change something?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
It's normal. And, they probably need more air flow. The entrance looks really tiny. It could just be too hot inside so they are clustering outside.

·
Registered
4ish langstrom hives
1,383 Posts
looks like a bit of bearding. I would not worry about it unless they spray for mesquitos in yoru area at night.

If it was a nuc they may be ready for another box, it it was a package they are probally still ok. I generally add another box when the other ones are about 80% filled

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looks like a bit of bearding. I would not worry about it unless they spray for mesquitos in yoru area at night.

If it was a nuc they may be ready for another box, it it was a package they are probally still ok. I generally add another box when the other ones are about 80% filled
Thanks for the reply. I think my neighbor sprayed for mosquitoes recently. What is bearding?

·
Registered
Small Cell Nucs
447 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I think my neighbor sprayed for mosquitoes recently. What is bearding?
When a hive gets too hot or overpopulated the bees will start hanging off the ledge of the entrance. They actually grab hold of each other and literally hang off the landing board. And it will look like a beard. :)

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When a hive gets too hot or overpopulated the bees will start hanging off the ledge of the entrance. They actually grab hold of each other and literally hang off the landing board. And it will look like a beard. :)
Thanks again, a term that is what it says it is. This is my first hive, package installed May 27th. I did a full inspection this past Sunday at that time around 4-5 of the 10 frames had comb. It’s approx 85ish during the day with lots of humidity and 70ish at night. I have the entrance reducer on the 4inch opening now what you see pictured. Having trouble deciding if it’s too hot and to open that up completely, or will I put the colony in danger by doing that before they are strong or big enough.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I'm not a fan of those silly sticks that get sold with new kits as an entrance reducer. The small hole is to small, then the next size up is still to restricted as the colony grows. After a couple years sitting in the weather, they often dont fit well anymore, and if you have bottom boards from multiple sources you will quickly find some of them are 1/8 inch to big, wont fit at all. We have developed a new hi tech style of reducer that's very flexible and completely adjustable. It's an easy thing to make, take some scrap 1x2 to a cutoff saw. This photo was taken a couple years back shortly after hiving some packages in those boxes. The one on the left is the 'medium' entrance, the one on the right is much larger. If you need something even smaller, take another piece and put it in the gap in the 'medium' one endwise, leaves a gap of about 2 bee widths. Our entrance reducers will move from hive to hive without a problem, never have an issue with 'reducer doesn't fit on this bottom board', they are just all around useful around the apiary.

And as an added bonus with this style of reducer, the bees will often tell you the entrance is to small, they push it off the landing board....

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had them also climbing UP the front of the hive until I added a super. I knew it was warm, but with the "lumber shortage" it took forever to get my hive parts. Going into a hot spell (110 +) and then I usually tip the back of the top board up a bit to encourage ventilation flow through during the day. Keep water available!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts