Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First year beek here so I'm feeling my way. New hive started from package in early April. Things have gone smoothly so far and population is growing nicely.
Weather has turned hot here in SC (93* today) and I have seen an increasing number of the girls gathering outside the entrance. (Photos below) I checked hive last week and saw no swarm cells, added some bars in the brood and expanded their space.
Just want to understand what they may be thinking - Learning Time!

Mark

IMG_20140605_182404.jpg
IMG_20140605_182224.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm new also first year but have been reading for two years now. That doesn't seem like a lot of bees outside considering the heat (I'm in Texas with similar temps). Looks like they are just cooling the hive to me, normal behavior (considering no queen cells present) and nothing to be concerned about, to help them out just insure they have access to fresh water to help with cooling, I use a cat/dog gravity style waterer with a few rocks in it. This is just my opinion though and worth about as much as it cost you to read it.

·
Registered
5,400 Posts
Bees keep hive temperatures between 91 + 97 if possible when the outside temperatures are high the bees must exit the hive and fan to lower the internal temperature. air flow is key to temperature and moisture control.

You want to know what they ate thinking? something like holy crap it's hot in here, and Mildred has gas, I going out fo a breath of fresh air!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bees keep hive temperatures between 91 + 97 if possible when the outside temperatures are high the bees must exit the hive and fan to lower the internal temperature. air flow is key to temperature and moisture control.

You want to know what they ate thinking? something like holy crap it's hot in here, and Mildred has gas, I going out fo a breath of fresh air!
I was also thinking they may just be hot, but nice to hear more votes in that direction.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Raise the outer cover. A top bar doesn't vent from the top, but the still air about the top bars can trap heat. I put a piece of old fence pickets across the top of the bars in the summer to get the air moving a bit above the bars. This year I waited for the first time I saw them bearding and I will take it out when the daily highs are out of the 80's sometime this fall.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts