Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do hope we see spring next month! I am tired of this single digits and minus digit temps….A question: This is my first winter. Checked the hives today (it is snowing here in the Catskills) and bee's are flying out. They look like baby bees, small. I can only think that I made noise at the entrance and they are flying out checking it out, but there were fresh dead bees on the snow around the hives. I am saying fresh because they look small too. What do you think?

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Some bee flight here too, it's 23 degrees, real feel is 18 degrees, full sun, no wind. Some new dead bees in snow, bees are mostly walking around upper entrances, a few flying, even some bees fanning nasonov gland up in the air on one hive, interesting.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Some bee flight here too, it's 23 degrees, real feel is 18 degrees, full sun, no wind. Some new dead bees in snow, bees are mostly walking around upper entrances, a few flying, even some bees fanning nasonov gland up in the air on one hive, interesting.
It is snowing here and windy; I actually picked one up and tried to put it back into the entrance. Yikes! does that make me anal?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yes it makes you anal lol. My dad cares for them as individuals as well ;) Moved a hive from his place to mine last year, and he brought me about 3 dozen bees in a coffee can he collected from the old hive location, cute but not necessarily efficient. It's alright though, every time I hear one crush during an inspection I cringe.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes it makes you anal lol. My dad cares for them as individuals as well ;) Moved a hive from his place to mine last year, and he brought me about 3 dozen bees in a coffee can he collected from the old hive location, cute but not necessarily efficient. It's alright though, every time I hear one crush during an inspection I cringe.
Me too.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
Finally warm enough for the Bees to fly here too. It's been cold the past couple weeks.

They have mostly just been carrying out the dead bees.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts