Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today it's quite chilly and wet, the day after massive storm systems moved through. A fair amount of drizzle. I went to see if the wind had blown my tops off, and my bees are flying? I suppose they know better than I do, but does that mean they are desperate for stores?
One is a package, installed last Thursday and being fed, and the other is a nuc that has a couple of frames of nectar in and has been disinterested in syrup.
I just got these girls last week, so every time they do anything I am mystified and delighted.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
SherryNE - Some bees actually fly at lower temps. Russians fly at 38 to 40, Carniolans fly at 40 to 45 most of the time, and Italians tend to fly at 45 to 55 most of the time. So as for being desparate for stores, NO. Possibly looking for pollen to build brood with, YES

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to know. I thought maybe it was because it hasn't been REALLY cold here, just temps dipped down for one day. I need to inspect both of these hives, but will probably have to wait for the weekend to get warm enough temps at the time of day I have available to check. Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt 'cause I really don't know anything ...but,
from my observations bees seem to adapt real fast to their environment.
I hived my Italian pkg back in mid April. Bees wouldn't come out of the
hive until late in the day, temps had to be 40's.
Now it is May 12, temp is still freezing hard every night. 23 last night,
but the bees are out and flying as soon as the sun hits the hive. Even though
it is only in the high 30's.

·
Registered
378 Posts
All because Chickbee has some go getter bees.. Those months of almost all daylight must make them wish for some rest then... Keep up the good work in the North.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,041 Posts
How cold of weather they will fly in is not just dependent on the temperature. It is also how calm, how sunny, how dry etc. On a calm sunny day I've seen a hive with feral survivor stock with a steady stream of bees working something when it was 27 F. My guess is they were hauling water as nothing was blooming the time, but they could have been robbing a feral colony that died out I suppose... I've never seen them do that when it wasn't calm and sunny... I also wonder if black bees soak up more sun...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts