Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so,
I got a box of bees. The person at the bee store said to put the queen cage between two frames and then leave the bees alone for a few days. When I came back after 4 or so days the queen was out of the cage and the gap between the two frames was completely filled with comb. What should I do? :s Should I try to separate the two frames? The picture I have isn't great:
IMG_20190526_203627073_BURST000_COVER.jpg

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I would separate the frames first, remove the wild comb between them, then push the frames together. Dont just push them together and squish that comb they have built there. It's fresh new comb, careful when cleaning it up, there is a good possibility the queen will be on that comb laying eggs,

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Smoke them down. Check to make sure the queen isn't right there. Gently pull the frames apart. Take the frame out and remove the comb. Or, if you can, use your hive tool to carefully pull the extra comb out. That new comb is often quite soft and is usually not completely attached to the adjacent frame. Shake the bees off the removed comb, put the hive back together with the frames nice and tight and you're all set. It's a common issue when you put a cage in between frames like that.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
The other thing that I would add is if you have/want a foundation less frame, rubber band the piece you remove to an empty frame and the bees may continue drawing it out and filling the frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts