Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my hives have considerable amount of dead bees on the landing board every morning considered to others.
It may be around 10 while other 2 hive have none or maybe 1 or 2.

I was wondering why? I still treat this hive for varroa and now I wonder if the bees will survive the winter.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Are the wings deformed on the dead, or live bees? If I knew the hive did not have a high mite load, I would not be concerned with 10 dead bees. Its probably just the summer bees dying off at the end of their life cycle. If you are seeing deformed wings, the hive could be a gonner at this time of year. J

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are the wings deformed on the dead, or live bees? If I knew the hive did not have a high mite load, I would not be concerned with 10 dead bees. Its probably just the summer bees dying off at the end of their life cycle. If you are seeing deformed wings, the hive could be a gonner at this time of year. J
Mid-August the hive had a hive mite load but I treated with formic pro and mite load went down to 4 mites per 300.
maybe one in ten have deformed wings. I still treat with oxalic acid, but not sure if it will help?

·
Registered
715 Posts
Mid-August the hive had a hive mite load but I treated with formic pro and mite load went down to 4 mites per 300.
maybe one in ten have deformed wings. I still treat with oxalic acid, but not sure if it will help?
Deformed wings is a sign you still have mite issues. I'd follow up with 4-5 rounds of OAV.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Doesn’t visual confirmation of DWV indicate fatal consequences?
No idea where Orland Park is, but anywhere north of the 49th if there is manifestation of DWV, that is fatal after September 1. Hell, usually August 15th.
4 oo 300 in Mid August is too high where I live, kiss of death. That requires max treatment, until 0.
Hope your bees make it.
Do you still have brood? No real excuse, but I am still treating one hive after 11 OAV treatments that started August 26. The mite drops have been off the charts on this hive for 2 months. I have no explanation other than I believe they converted all my Fall feed into brood. Fortunately, no evidence of viral infection/ disease but what an old beekeeper sees isn’t necessarily so....
I have low survival expectations for this hive, but will be happy if they do.
Best of luck,
Brian

1 - 6 of 6 Posts