Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice here please. I had a guy call me yesterday from a small church near me. They are having their 100 year reunion next Saturday and he is concerned about a hive of bees living in a tree that is right over their pavillion. He does not want to kill the bees or cut down the tree (tree is a old as the church) but is concerned about the amount of people being there. He was concerned about the vehicles and exaust perturbing the bees. There will also be music. Since we are in a dearth and its very dry here, I was more worried about sugary drinks. The opening is whats left of a limb that broke off (two ft. section off the tree) he says its about 14 foot off the ground and pointed directly toward the parking lot. The gathering is only one day so I thought maybe putting a sheet over the end of the limb and tying it off for the day. I'm also afraid the bees will have an alternative exit that may be closer to the ground. I also thought about maybe taking a two gal. hanging chicken waterer and hanging it in a tree in the opposite direction of the gathering to maybe direct their attention to it instead of sugary drinks in the hands of children or elderly. I also thought of completly leaving them alone and ignoring them and thinking that they probably won't bother anything since their opening is well over head height.
What are your thoughts? I'm going to go look at it probably this afternoon or tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
I think they would have to worry more about yellow jackets in the drinks than the honey bees. The last thing you want to do is try to barricade the bees in. I think the best option to make them(people) feel better is to place a sugar syrup source in the opposite direction that everyone will be. Have it about 200 yds away from the hive. Place it there soon so the bees find it and get accustomed to using it. That way they(bees) feel they are in a flow and will be busy gathering instead of beeing a nuisance.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I told the guy the same thing about the yellowjackets. I think I can do the sugar syrup and have better results. Those results might be the same as not doing anything but like you said, the folks there might feel better about it Thanks!

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
You could also put a perimeter tape around the area of the tree so people are not going directly underneath the tree. With that put a sign explaining the reason of the barricade(God's bees). That could provide an experience for those that are interested but never saw a bee tree before. You could set up a booth(free for your time) to sell honey(make sure all containers are clean of honey on the outside) and educate those that have questions about the honey bees. Make someones negative thoughts into a positive experience to all.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went and hung a chicken waterer with syrup today. Its funny that they are so worried about the bees attacking people since I simply walked across the pavillion and got nailed on my shoulder by a big Red Wasp.:pinch: Ouch! That pavillion was covered in them!! There was about six of them waiting for me on the pole next to the driver side door of my truck so I had to crawl in from the passenger side and roll up the windows so I could get out of there w/o getting attacked again lol. Man, I'd rather be stung by five bees than one red wasp! Glad I got stung, at least now they know they are there. Better me than some elderly person or kiddo trying to sit down in the pavillion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts