Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I set out a bait hive with three frames and a swarm moved it. Before I got around to checking on it, they had drawn several combs not on the frames, but hanging from the cover in open space inside. I know that I can cut them out and rubber-band them into frames without foundation, but I've failed at that before, in that the swarm decided to move on after my rearranging their comb.

What's the best approach to doing this?

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Can understand the wish to repeat.
I would cut off and reband the outer combs and place the foundation frames where you cut off the outer combs. Drawn combs if you have them.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
After the first brood hatch the comb will be easier to work. (of course there will be more to clean up)

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
new comb is like wet tissue paper, after brood the cocoon hardens it. They will keep adding comb on while that happens.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Seems to me that there are two opposing scenarios here. Going in early to sort out the snafu seems like a good idea - but - that disturbance might cause them to abandon ship.

On the other hand, if you wait a couple of weeks for laying to become established, there will be more mess to clear up, sure, but they're far less likely to take off and leave their brood behind.

Personally, I'd be inclined to wait if that swarm is important to you.
LJ

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm in no rush. I'd happily clean up a bit more mess if they'll stick around. I assume cleaning up more mess is nothing more than just more comb to band into frames. It'd be easier to band in if the combs were larger anyway.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
What's the best approach to doing this?
If the trap has an attached bottom, cover the entrance with a disc set to queen excluder or transfer the colony to a hive box and put a queen excluder between the bottom board and the bottom box. Clean out the unframed comb taking care to keep the queen inside the hive; fill the box with frames; close it up and leave it alone for a week. Remove the excluder after a week. Next time fill the trap with one drawn frame at the back and the rest undrawn foundationless.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Lock her up!
I'm not seeing in this case that there is brood yet, to indicating that the queen is already mated.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If the trap has an attached bottom, cover the entrance with a disc set to queen excluder or transfer the colony to a hive box and put a queen excluder between the bottom board and the bottom box. Clean out the unframed comb taking care to keep the queen inside the hive; fill the box with frames; close it up and leave it alone for a week. Remove the excluder after a week. Next time fill the trap with one drawn frame at the back and the rest undrawn foundationless.
The trap is a box with an attached bottom, removable top, and an entrance about 1.5" in diameter on the side. You don't say what you'd do with the unframed comb other than clean it out. Would you discard it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts