Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use screened bottom boards and haven't medicated more than pollen patties, SW and Mega Bee (which I just started this spring).

A brief description of the early and mid spring weather here in the high plains just SE of Denver CO: multiple times we had days of warm and sunny in the 60's and 70's, followed by a sharp decline in temp and days of rain and snow and harsh winds. I realize now that I will be building wind breaks around my 2 year old apiary this summer. I'm sure this played a roll in the reduction of hive strength and activity I could witness out in front of the hives. Two hives now have no activity.

Upon examination today, I found a large pile of dead carcasses in the rear of both hives. Most of the carcasses had hollowed out heads.

I have ordered two packages of bees to replace the dead colonies

My question: Is there any advice one might give, in what type of prep work is necessary before I put bees back in the hives.

I appreciate any time offered to my question. Thank you.
Tom

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
clean out what dead bees you can with your bee brush and the new bees will be happy to finish up. be sure to feed'em and a frame of brood from another hive is always a great idea. good luck,mike

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wind breaks will help a lot!

I have my hives on the southeast side of the trees, since the wind, typically, comes out of the northwest in winter. Yesterday, I went to check on them, because the winds were gusting like crazy and it went from 85 degrees, the day before, to 45 degrees. At the gate, the wind was pushing me around. At the hives, I barely noticed it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts