Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hive going strong brood capped drones started to be capped plenty of pollen in hive . Went to ad super all bees dead and they were wet. Last checked few days ago that's when I knew it was getting time to ad another super. Hive was closed from weather top on properly supers all on square . No way rain could have been blown in. Any idea what could have happened other than vandalism?

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Not sure what happened, but will say that newly dead bees tend to bet wet/soggy looking because of the decaying bodies in a mostly closed up space. Unless you have had some problems with the neighbors, vandalism seems unlikely. Most non-bee people are afraid to go near a hive, let along open it up and pour enough water in to kill them all. What was your method of managing mites? J

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
looks like you had a few chilly nights up there over the weekend. any chance the moisture could have condensed on the ceiling and dripped back down on the bees?

·
Registered
6,558 Posts
I was wondering about getting locked on brood. Wouldnt think it would happen that far south but it well could in the north. Bees can starve in 3 days apparently with lots of stores only an inch away.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
The bees are really metabolizing the sugar/honey and the by product of that is water, lots of it. I have been going through my hives here in the sunny South and am finding inner covers and telescoping tops quite moist. Hives had upper entrances too. Guess it is time to yank the corroplast sheets from the screen bottom boards. I would not discount a very high humidity level leading to condensation dripping on the bees as they attempted to cluster for a cold night.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Guess it is time to yank the corroplast sheets from the screen bottom boards. I would not discount a very high humidity level leading to condensation dripping on the bees as they attempted to cluster for a cold night.
Excess humidity sounds like a definite possibility - what kind of ventilation was in place ?
LJ

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Contrarian Idea: If the bees died first - reasons unknown - they will no longer produce heat, obviously. Top vent or no top vent the ambient inside the hive will quite likely match the outside. Except the cold air inside the hive from nightime cooling will lag behinf hte outside temperatures. Moisture or water vapor flow from warm and humid conditions to cold and drier conditions. Bingo the water condenses all over the bees as it ventilates through or simply diffuses in and out of he entrance with some wind.

All this is a model / theory in my mind. I will test it sometime as I have seen a similar result when I started out. My hives are now heavily insulated by XPS foam, no top vent not top leaks. They are now the driest I have seen all winter, brooding up heavily and and the highest temperatures - I monitor all hives with dial temperature gauges and three have weather stations in them ( cheap!). Dial temperature gauge ( kitchen type of digital) warned me of drone laying queen - temperature dropped off after rising up from good brood rearing efforts.

Odd Story: I also saw, once in a Nor'easter, very high RH. Went out in the rain, caught a lull, took the insulating cover off and said WoW! Bees were all lined up along the edges taking water. Wind was forcing water up and through the gasketed seam / cracks! Bees appeared to love it - it was my best hive last summer!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wasn't a mite issue as how could mites kill thousands of bee in a couple of days as the hive was expanding quickly mites were taken care by formic pro so mites not issue . Turned out was a ventilation issue. As hive population increased so did moisture to the "rain in hive" which got them wet Screened bottom board with the hive stand being blocked from wind no notch in inner cover or other entrance Hive is beemax so outer cover sites tight on inner cover hence not enough ventilation. Thanks for reply Took days to figure out what the cause was

1 - 9 of 9 Posts