Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
NOVICE NEEDS ADVICE: First time on post; May 5, 2005 received 3 lb bee package (clipped italian queen) and a starter hive (1 deep and 1 shaller super) from Rossman Apairy; Last couple of weeks the bees have been congregating at the entrance in the afternoon; It has been hot and I was thinking that they are hot; Nearest watersource is 150 yards away; Hive in very good shade; Should I open hive? Can the bees build up so fast in two months to where swarming is an issue; Love the beekeeping hobby! However, I don't have any mentors living near home; Thanks :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Yes they can. Are you saying you haven't opened the hive in two months? Do you have another deep w/ foundation to give them or will you overwinter in one deep?

Hawk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a deep super on order and should be here any day. I have opened twice and the brood box looked really congested. The book that came with the kit only covered opening the hive 7 to 10 days after introduction of bees, and I did that; Quite Frankly, being new at beekeeping, there were a lot of bees TO ME in the 3 lb package; I just checked the hive again about 8:30 pm today and a beard of bees stretched the length of the entire entrance about 4 inches thick. 86 degrees temp outside in shade. I visit the hive everyday, and I will open the hive to inspect, but dont want to harass the bees. How many times a month should I inspect the hive and does it include pulling any frames out to check progress and for disease, parasites, etc. My starter hive kit came with the book, STARTING RIGHT WITH BEES, Root Publishing; I have read the book cover to cover, but it doesn't cover the frequency of inspections. PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
510 Posts
Sounds like they are hot and the foragers are just hanging outside to reduce the temps inside the hive.I would prop the top open a bit to provide better ventalation.
Are you feeding them?I use the frame style feeders so I open my hives twice a week for the last 3 months now.Since this is your first year with bees I would open it at least once a week,this helps you see what happens inside the hives and also gives you better confidence when you will have to open it next year when there are hundreds more bees.
If you only have the one brood box they could be getting crowded too.Not all but I think most people have double deeps,then med supers.Gives the queen the bottom one to lay in and the next to store in,then your hoeny supers.I would add another box to them when all are 3/4 full of drawn comb/stores.
Always provide space for them and check them often until you feel comfortable.Chances are you will not get honey the first year.But maybe....

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
sounds like you're "starting right" with the bees. I try to check every month. When I was new I checked every week the first summer. How else you gonna know what's up? Probably two or three times a year you'll take out every frame and inspect. That's to answer your question and yes every week is too often. Remember you set them back about two days everytime you open them up.

Now you need to know if they've drawn comb on all frames. Did you start with foundation? Usually when the first (bottom) box is 7-8 frames drawn, add the second box.When the second box is 7-8 frames drawn and the excluder and super. Do you have bees and comb on 7-8 frames?

Hawk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice; I did find a deep super from a guy in Vanna, GA; Checked the hive around 7:45 today; 9 of the frames were full; First time removing frames; The first frame fell apart and was pinching against the second; I placed two of the full frames in the upper super; I do think the bees were hot; I feel better about my babies (bees); This hobby is fantastic; I took some pictures but new to posting and dont know if I can load them up; Can I load the pics?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts