Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
package bees are 3 weeks in med box with 8 frames. as they have been drawing out cone going into the outer frames i have placed another box on top. last couple of days they have been gathering heavily around the intrance. does this indicate they are about to swarm?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Could be. Are there any capped queen cells on any frames? Could also mean they're hot and are just sittin' on the front porch.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Package bees usually will not swarm the first year. If you have been having poor weather where they haven’t had much opportunity to fly. When the sun comes back out they will become very active for a few hours. I observed this yesterday, we had four days of cold rainy weather, the weather suddenly shifted form 52 and wet to 78 and sunny. All twenty nine of my hives were boiling with frenzy of activity. A few hours later more normal fight behavior.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Comb. Hives have COMB. Cones are for road construction and ice cream.

First year packages can and will swarm if they are not given enough room in a timely manner-before they need it.
Lol oo bee nice :D every time I see a typo on my blog I remember not to bee too picky about other folks typos.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts