Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today was a warm day after a cold snap so bees took advantage and went foraging. I have a pollen sub feeder about 100 yards from my apiary that normally attracts a lot of bees, but it had none. Went to the apiary and bee traffic made it look like it was spring time. Bees had pollen baskets full of mostly yellow pollen, some orange. What was amazing was the amount of pollen they were bringing in.
Anyone familiar with NC vegetation know where they are getting all of this pollen in the middle of winter?
I'm almost worried the queen will begin laying early due to the amount of available protein and cause a winter swarm.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Mine're active here in eastern NC too; the only thing I see blooming massively are the sweet-breath-of-springs, which're loaded in flowers. Sweet, too. Then again ... I've seen lots of ornamental cherries and plums blooming in town lately.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Same here in North central Texas, A lot of beige colored pollen today, has been mostly orange lately tho. Have seen a few henbit flowering and red pollen from it, not sure where the orange came from, haven't seen any dandelion yet. Thinking beige could possibly be some type of tree, maybe early ash?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Camellia/Sasanqua here too. Every once in a while there is a little golden rod that frost hasn't gotten. I've also seen some red maple blooming.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts