Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today is in the low 50's. My surviving hive is very active. Hard to believe, but they are bringing in some pollen (dark orange and pale yellow). Not sure what is blooming this time of year. I know that there are willows and pussy willows near by.
Hopefully a sign of a good season to come.

·
Registered
831 Posts
I would be willing to bet they are gathering skunk cabbage pollen and possibly pollen from red cedars. The signs of Spring are in the air.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Mine are gathering pollen and I am guessing perhaps the crocuses and or pansies around town.

I noticed that my girls in one of my outyards must be rolling in some sort of dust. They are sometimes coming back in yellow.

I put Megabee out in a pan hoping that they would be persuaded to use it, but they seem to be ignoring it.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yesterday was sunny and in the 60's here in Southern Indiana. I had soy flour and brewers yeast in a box. They were working it very well. I also noticed them bringing in some bright orange pollen. I haven't noticed anything blooming yet but there must be something out there.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
That's interesting. I watched for about 10 minutes on Sunday and didn't see any pollen. I was hoping...but no. Maybe later this week if I'm home and the weather is warm.

·
Registered
52 Posts
here in agawam i added 2 pollen patties each ( I hope thats not too much.) on my 2 hives. these hives are pretty full of bees i was soo supprised. (its my first winter) Should I feed starting next week? That is after St Patricks Day? I also noticed a lot of pollen coming in it looked orange. I couldn't tell the reserves exactly but there was some. I dont want to starve them but I also dont want to over feed them too quickly. When do others in Mass start to feed syrup? it has been warm here and no snow is on the ground the comming forcast does not look like it will be freezing till next week.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
Beehive, I rarely see them take syrup until the weather warms up. Consistently in the 50's perhaps. I'm not even sure you want to feed them unless you're trying to get them pulling wax. Maxant...now you have me wondering. I can't wait to see some pollen coming in.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts