Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got my bees yesterday and placed them in the hive with the queen, most of them flew out and spent the night and much of today underneath the roof of the hive. There are still some bees in the hive surrounding the queen’s box but I’m not sure why there are so many under the roof.

A google search proves inconclusive, although I did read they can cluster on the outside of the hive if they are too hot. I’m in Florida so this is a possibility but they receive no direct sunlight and they were there overnight as well. This is (obviously) my first time beekeeping so your help is much appreciated!

229E6094-0836-45D9-9CD0-72F5BD1F62A7.jpg

·
Registered
2020 6 hives
239 Posts
Ishtar, Welcome to beescource.

You may want to remove the top and leave a little space for the bees to go into the box. When they are back inside replace the top to keep the rains out.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
It is possible there is a second queen in the package and she has moved outside with a portion of the adults with her. This is commonly seen in swarms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jim, thank you! I had tried that earlier on and it didn’t seem to help, would it didn’t seem to help. Do you think it would disturb the bees inside though? I believe the queen is out of her box now.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AR, thank you! I thought about that as they seem to be clustered like the bees inside under the wooden slats, if that’s the case what would happen now, they’ll build their hive within the roof? Will this be a problem?

Everything else seems to be going smoothly, I’ve placed food near the entrance to the hive to entice them but no cigar but the bees themselves seem happy and healthy just separated.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
If they're still separated after 24 hrs, it sounds as if they've got themselves 'stuck' - i.e. don't know where they ought to be - and don't know how to get inside the hive. So they're clinging to each other for security and perhaps a little warmth too.

There are two things you could do - either: take the lid (inner cover) off the topmost box and then brush or shake those bees off into the open box ...
or: set-up some kind of ramp on the ground, leading up to the hive entrance. If you then brush or shake those bees off onto the ramp, then they will walk up into the hive.

Personally, I wouldn't leave them isolated for too much longer.
'best
LJ

·
Registered
8,186 Posts
I assume you have just wood in your warre and no comb. Try finding someone to sell or give you some comb to get the bees in the proper place. Langstroth equipment is just not that expensive and so less prone to beginner problems.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If they're still separated after 24 hrs, it sounds as if they've got themselves 'stuck' - i.e. don't know where they ought to be - and don't know how to get inside the hive. So they're clinging to each other for security and perhaps a little warmth too.

There are two things you could do - either: take the lid (inner cover) off the topmost box and then brush or shake those bees off into the open box ...
or: set-up some kind of ramp on the ground, leading up to the hive entrance. If you then brush or shake those bees off onto the ramp, then they will walk up into the hive.

Personally, I wouldn't leave them isolated for too much longer.
'best
LJ
Thank you Little John, I followed your advice. I took the roof off and slid the bees into the box. Some of them returned but only a few, not nearly as much as there were before. I’ll keep updated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Correct Vance, just wood, no comb. I had read that they may not take to a new hive with just wood, but the peculiarity was that some took to the box while others did not. As far as I know, the queen is still in the box part of the hive. All the bees inside were clustered together hanging from the slats.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
... just wood, no comb. I had read that they may not take to a new hive with just wood, but the peculiarity was that some took to the box while others did not. As far as I know, the queen is still in the box part of the hive. All the bees inside were clustered together hanging from the slats.
It sounds very much as if they weren't too impressed with an empty box. Some realised there wasn't another choice on offer, whereas some objected more than the others. That's bees ...

Just checking - your 'slats' (Top Bars) - have they been made incorporating some form of starter-strip (e.g. raised surface, wedge, wax strip etc) ? And - are you feeding syrup to initially help them get some combs drawn ?

I took the roof off and slid the bees into the box. Some of them returned but only a few, not nearly as much as there were before.
It might be worth trying the same again tomorrow. Once you get over this initial hiccup (which is not that unusual), and a few inches of comb have been drawn and the queen has laid a few eggs, then things should settle down significantly. :)
'best
LJ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts