Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This is the second week with our first hive, started from a nuc.

We came home at dusk tonight after a very hot day and saw that bees were just sitting and clogging up the small hole of the entrance reducer.

We saw just a couple sugar ants, but is this some defense posture for bees?

We have a screened bottom board, and they didn't seem to be fanning, so I'd guess they weren't too hot.

We just went in to inspect on Sat. And the queen was there and the bees have filled out six frames and were drawing on two sides of two other new frames, and we saw no queen cells, just lots of capped and uncapped brood and honey.

We have an empty super on top of that one and they've just started to draw on one frame. They're taking syrup and bringing in pollen and nectar from the acres of forage we live on, mostly fields of clover.

But we've never seen them clog the entrance. Maybe only ten or twenty bees, but it's the small hole. This isn 't covered in our books. Is it something to be concerned about? Are they defending against robber bees or ants?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
They are bearding and will slowly move out. Go back up and look well after dark and see if they are outside. Helps cool the hive..

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Sorry i must have misread. If they are clogging that hole, they are guard bees watching for problems.....sorry, watching WWF and reading....lol.... I have a knot that fell out and left the hole open. They are constantly clogging it and making sure nothing gets in, Guard duty....

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. That's what we figure too. Not much will get in that hole.

Just normal then?

Nobody at the top hole. But take off the top and they are clogging that oval hole in the top cover where our feeder jar is. You'd think they'd just guard the small hole. Or maybe they're all just feeding.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Im sure they are watching that top hole as well. They watch everything funny enough. I have a new split that i made recently and the frame rest broke out so theres a hole there too. I was like hmm, noones watching the hole, popped the top and they were there, just below it. Here is SHB country, i don't like leaving anything open if possible....little buggers get in all over the place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts