Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yellow jackets have been hanging around the apiary recently- I didn't really see them before I started feeding, but now they're everywhere. They try to get in the hives when I open them and they're all over the syrup pails.

Occassionally they try to get in the reduced hive entrances; I came across 3 bees kicking yellow jacket butt the other day:

http://www.sweettimeapiary.com/pics/kicking_wasp_butt.jpg

They finally tossed the lifeless body off the cliff. Go bees!

George-

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yea I noticed an increase in yellow jackets around my hives too. Other bees, I think have also become interested. Just the other day I was working a hive and had the top off when I noticed this long and skinny black wasp on the top bars. Immediately it was destroyed. I guess with the days getting shorter and the air cooler some bugs are willing to risk everything for something sweet.

·
Registered
891 Posts
I'm getting more in my wasp/hornet/moth traps also. They seem to have taken over my summer poinsetta in the front yard also. There seem to be more this year than the past ten to fifteen years that I can remember.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.