Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys , got a quick question, I installed a package of bees on 5-24-14 right around sundown. Ive check the hive twice since then and all the bees are still clustered around the queen cage. They have only eaten just a few ounces from the feeder since then and theres just a few going in and out the entrance. I have yet to see any comb being built. Any ideas what going on. I have not checked the queen cage and yes I removed the cork .

·
Registered
114 Posts
If I was going to guess, I would say they are building a mess of comb all around your queen cage and they have been for the last 4 days. If you hang a queen it probably needs to be pulled 24 hours or less after it is hung.

·
Registered
102 Posts
did you put a small nail through the sugar/candy on the cage? allowing the bees to eat their way in ?

you could just release her...? that's what i have done for my four hives and they are already drawing tons of comb since last tuesday

also, is there a good nectar flow? if not, i would do a 1:1 sugar/water to feed and get them building

best of luck

·
Registered
102 Posts
If I was going to guess, I would say they are building a mess of comb all around your queen cage and they have been for the last 4 days. If you hang a queen it probably needs to be pulled 24 hours or less after it is hung.
yep.

pull the queen cage for sure and make sure there's no queen in it

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep u guys were right, I went into the hive when I got in from work and sure enough they had started a comb around the cage. The queen was out and when I removed the bar the comb broke and fell to the bottom . I removed it from the hive. It was a rookie mistake but I will learn from it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts