Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just reading over a book that got me thinking.
Many have said on the forum (unless I am mistaken, and did not understand their statements) that bees can't hear but they do sense vibration well.

Why do queens pipe?
Why do any of the bees make noise?
The book says they can hear, but the scientific community had been looking at it wrong and did not realize their mistake.

No I won't say it. You know already what I would say.
The weak things of the world :)

Mike

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would imagine by now there would be a lot of articles stating they can.
My point was (just re-read my post). I wasn't trying to bring out some brand new information, but point out that a lot of people, including me, had done exactly as I was talking about before. Accepting what they said without thinking.

Mike

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I remember when I was about 6-7 years old my uncle settling a swarm by banging a metal pot with a piece of metal. They immediately settled on a fence posts. His explanation was that they can't hear the queen so they settle on the closest object.

But my whole family claims that I can't hear, but in my world I can:lpf:

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Oh i know Mike.....thats what makes this fun.........you MUST NOT be a Master Beekeeper....:lookout::lookout::lpf::lpf:

You do of course realize that i COULD NOT resist.....

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Hey Drur, I watched my grandad do the same thing in downtown chattanooga in 1982. I was only 7, but man, i remember. They had swarmed on a streetlamp. He drummed and they came down to a hive he had placed at the base...never did ask why...

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
I assure you they do not listen....i keep telling her i am her friend...then she stings me anyway...same goes for my bees too...

·
Registered
185 Posts
news reports about "killer bees" always saw they can be set off by loud noises like a weed whip or lawn mower.

i have read that bees cannot hear, and, newscasters are not always correct. but then we once thought the earth was flat and the sun went around the earth.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Master beekeeper? I can't even find my hive tool.

It (the sound topic) struck me because I knew the queen's piped. I had thought I heard other bees make noises too. But I never stopped to think they have a reason - and if they couldn't hear there would be no reason. I had just gone on what the books and the sxxxxxxxxs (people don't like me using that word) told us. It is almost imbred to not question them.

Mike

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Bees can't hear? Just because they don't have ears like us or sound sensing organs like frogs? And bees don't talk, either? Just because they don't make sounds that sound like werds?

People who are hearing impaired make sounds too. But that doesn't mean that they can hear, does it?

Define hearing.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I am not the one who said this (though I might have in other threads). I am repeating what the scientific (sorry have to say it sometimes) community had been saying, and what is still repeated a lot.

I have no intention of going scientific - lingo either.
Very simple - common sense - hearing is the ability to perceive sounds (however you prefer to define sound).

Your examples aren't comparable. Humans do have the ability to hear. A deaf person is a human that for some reason does not have that ability. Doesn't change anything. I can see that the "scientific" method is flawed. And it makes it worse because it has become so strongly taught that it can't be seen by those who use it.

Mike

·
Registered
274 Posts
Just a thought but speach, noise, ect does cause vibration or waves which may be what they sense, It does not matter if they can hear, I can and that buzz:lookout::lookout: warns me to be careful. And yes, I DO talk to my bees. It helps me stay calm and focused!

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
A deaf person is a human that for some reason does not have that ability.

Mike
And yet they make sounds. As do honey bees. The making of sounds or noises doesn't mean that those making them can hear them or that even if they can hear them that those sounds mean anything to those who are making them and those that are hearing them. It doesn't even necesarily mean that these sounds are being made for a reason. They could just be by products of movement. Like buzzing when a bee flys or the pop sound when a drone mates.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Drur & Devdog: I remember my father and aunts & uncles banging pots to make swarms light on a low branch of trees. As I got educated, I wrote that off to an old unscientific way of doing things. But now that I have gotten wiser, I believe there must be something to it. Especially since it had been done in Tennesse & Texas and not just Lincolnton, NC.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
When you are running like a little girl away from the hive screaming because they are stinging you they are hearing you and laughing. :lookout::applause:

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
Bees dance in the dark. How do the "watchers" know where to find the honey? Do they see the dancer? No. Do they feel the dancer? Yes. What is the difference between very fine ability to detect vibration and "hearing"? It depends on your definition of "hearing".

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Drur & Devdog: I remember my father and aunts & uncles banging pots to make swarms light on a low branch of trees. As I got educated, I wrote that off to an old unscientific way of doing things. But now that I have gotten wiser, I believe there must be something to it. Especially since it had been done in Tennesse & Texas and not just Lincolnton, NC.
Cause and effect? Or, if they had simply followed the swarms they would have found the same result and we would now say that following a swarm makes it come down.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts