Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's going to be my very first honey pull.... what happens when you take 2 or 3 honey supers and clear all those bees in front of the hive?
Someone told me, they just can't all go home, not enough room!
Is there something what can be done for these poor bees?

Konrad

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
How about Fall splits? Not really necessary. they can go home. Have you noticed a bunch sitting on the front porch. Keeping cool in the hot evenings? They don't all have to fit inside.

Hawk

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you pull your honey early on a boomer colony, they won't all fit back in the boxes left, so add another super.

Since you only have two seasons in the Great White North... it won't be long before your month of summer is gone. :D If you wait 'til early winter your colonies will form their winter cluster and the drones will be kicked out and you will have plenty of room for the bees left.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hawk,

As I already posted, I'll be extracting for the first time this weekend. Once I have that under my belt, I'll be pretty content. Your comment about Fall Splits peaked my curiosity. Being satisfied with one harvest this year, I'd love to go down a path of expanding my single colony. Can you either explain, or point me to a prior string about Fall Splitting. Here in the SF Bay Area, temperatures stay pretty mild, and I think I have plenty of time to build up colonies.

Thanks.

DG

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all!

Splitting is a good way...but I already maxed out with catching two swarms.

As you suggested, make sure that I have a super ready.

Konrad

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
DG, I've found my Italians overwinter with larger amounts and are always ready to take advantage of a warm day To fly out and gather nectar. If your's don't settle in for the winter, in SF you can probably bk all year long. Did you search on Fall Splitting?

Hawk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts