Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put a package bee in a medium super in late April. By late may they had just about filled it. I put a deep with plasti-cells on top of the medium. (Bees like to go up right?)

I went into the hive this week to steal 2 frames of brood to add to a swarm I had just caught and they haven't touched the deep. I sprayed sugar water on it when I added it, and again in late June. They haven't started to draw the comb or anything. I keep a mega-bee patty on top of the hive so they crawl through it to get to the patties.

I know it is getting late and I don't want the to die out in the winter. should I pull the plasticells and get some wax foundation in its place?:s:

what else can I do, we are in the middle of one of the worst droughts in 20 years in my area, there is NOTHING for them to forage on out there right now.

·
Premium Member
6,176 Posts
They don't need the space so they won't pull the wax. As Mike said, feeding 1:1 would give them a reason and the energy to make comb. Sometimes, they still won't for a while.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Burleyusa, you just saved me from asking this same question.

With all the talk of harvests and three deeps full etc. I was really beginning to worry for my girls and their pitiful stores and reluctance to move up into the new super. (and oh, the drought!~)

I did give them 1:1 and they have started to draw out the 3 new frames in the deep and i rubberbanded (new word) some of their wayward comb into a foundationless and they are attaching it.... (i saw they had removed one rubber band and kicked it out of the hive) good luck and thanks for the question!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts