Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New beek, two packages installed 4/27 in NH---My bees seem to be on a motherlode nectar flow. I stopped feeding them a week ago after building out on a deep and almost 2 mediums. They are back filling previous brood comb with nectar馃檲 both hives still have capped brood, one has more than the other. Observing shows they are bringing in hardly any pollen, but what I believe is a crap ton of nectar. There is a 20 acre field near my house with white clover and a ton of other stuff blooming around me. I added pollen patties 3 days ago and a they are taking to it well, also added 3rd medium. I do not have any empty comb to steal a few frames from them, queens are still laying, but not as much-for obvious reason. Population is good, and bees seem super healthy and calm. I am concerned about this behavior. No queen/swarm cells present. Will bees---forage so much nectar that it will put them behind?? Am I being over analytical? Any input or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Registered
They鈥檒l make room for more brood when they need to. A young hive will do that. As they emerge, and the hive grows larger, they will clear her additional spots to lay. Give them some time, and try not to let it worry you.

Registered
Don't feed them anymore. If they are filling the brood nest you need to add a couple of honey supers. Check the brood nest to make sure the queen has empty cells to lay in. If needed, pull some of the back filled frames up into the honey supers, even if there is brood present. It will hatch and will be back filled too. If the brood nest gets nectar/honey bound they will swarm. Check for brood space and swarm cells every week until the flow is over and with that much nectar available they can fill frames really fast. Pull honey as soon as it gets capped. Good luck and don't go on vacation now. It's time to treat for varroa mites before you put those supers on. :applause:

Registered
They鈥檒l make room for more brood when they need to. A young hive will do that. As they emerge, and the hive grows larger, they will clear her additional spots to lay. Give them some time, and try not to let it worry you.
Clif - my post above is incorrect. I didn鈥檛 read your post good enough. Sorry. Don鈥檛 do what I said!

I agree with Murdock. Not familiar with NH but if there鈥檚 a flow, they very well could swarm. I think I would pull the middle 5 frames in the medium right above the bottom brood box and replace with foundation. If there鈥檚 a flow, that will give them something to do (draw comb) and give her a place to lay. Hopefully you are currently running 10 frames so they will draw it correctly.

Make sure you don鈥檛 pull frames and replace with foundation in the TOP super as that would leave a honey barrier between the bottom bottom and the top box. The queen usually won鈥檛 crawl over honey frames to get to another place to lay. Hope that makes sense.

You could freeze those honey frames you pull and extract them later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts