Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the title pretty much explains it all. Theres a good flow on right now and theres about 4 acres of clover for just one hive, but I still have the hive top feeder on there just in case.

I checked the feeder every day twice a day and the bees aren't touching the syrup. I inspect once a week and find they draw out less than half of one side of the frame(which has all wax foundation) per week.

I have a feeling that the older wax building bees are spending too much time out in the field, and haven't even noticed the syrup. Maybe if I was to contain them by sealing the hive with some mesh(to allow ventilation but they still cant get out) that they would take the syrup and build the frames.

These are Russian bees and I know things go slow at first with them but this is just ridiculous:pinch:! I know the syrup hasn't gone bad or been tainted or anything of that sort. I think its time for some expert advice so what do y'all think I should do?

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
My bees usually won't touch syrup if nectar is plentiful and the weather is nice. If your bees don't draw comb in a flow with good weather, well that is another issue. Usually related to the queen. Locking them in won't make any difference with that.

How many frames of bees do you have?

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
What's the status of eggs, larvae and capped brood in the colony? Was this hive started from a package or a nuc? When was it started?

Without answers to the above questions, speculation gets real dangerous and worth little. My **guess** is that you've lost your queen and are left with a hive that is declining in population and has all the drawn comb the bees feel they need.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but this is from a package you hived about a month ago. The population of a hive started from a package declines for the first three and a half weeks, it takes that long for comb to be built and new bees to be born. They may be drawing comb slowly because they have only a small population.

Tell us about the hive, ie one deep, two mediums, four frames drawn, etc.
Do you have lots of brood ? Sealed ?

Let their population bounce back, they will build comb when they have the workforce and the nectar.

Personally, if you KNOW you are in a good flow, I would remove the feeder.
However, many people would have you leave it on regardless until the hive has drawn out two deeps worth if wax.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes this is the package I hived a month ago, and yes I have seen the queen every time I inspect(she's a nice and purdy dark color!). They have about 5 or 6 frames fully drawn with two or three that are loaded with eggs and brood. The outer frames have honey and pollen too. I've only seen a little bit of capped brood upon inspection though. I think the queen is laying good, but there just hasn't been a whole lot of new bees yet.

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
BakerBoy is right - be patient! Over the next few weeks the population will expand - the bees will need more drawn comb and will draw it out. And they just might start using your syrup too. The population growth when it comes can be impressive - So be ready to add a 2nd box.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I agree with the bees dying off for the first 3-4 weeks. Your population will decline naturally somwhat until the first wave of eggs begins to hatch off which will be about 4 weeks IF you consider that the queen may not lay until a week has passed to allow her and the bees to adjust to their new surroundings, and then wait the 21 days for the first workers to hatch. The great news is, if you have a laying queen and she's laying good patterns, you will have wave after wave of bees hatching with every single passing day.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm having the same problem in one of my hives... also Russian! I'm beginning to think that perhaps Russians just aren't great comb builders?

Although I feel that really they just hate my foundation. They seem to be building everywhere they can in the box besides on the foundation. They've built comb between the top and bottom frames, and in some pillar shapes between the frames... just not where it's supposed to go. At first I was breaking all of that off quickly, but now I don't have the heart and just let them build where they want thinking that they'll need all the space they can get for laying etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
oregonbeek, how many hives and what foundation do you have? if you've got a number you can manage on an individual basis i'd clear their burr comb out. from the burr comb we've dealt with this year, they'll get the hint even though it is a shame to waste their energy on stuff that just ends up in the melter. joe

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
oregonbeek make sure you got your bee space correct! You never mentioned if you have 8 frame or 10 frame but either way, the next time you open your hive make sure that all the frames are tight up against each other to correct your beespace and check your hive to see if its level from left to right! There are alot of threads on here pertaining to your problem, you can do a search at the top for any more further detail. But if you correct those few things that i mentioned you should be back on track! Good Luck!

·
Registered
201 Posts
oregonbeek make sure you got your bee space correct! You never mentioned if you have 8 frame or 10 frame but either way, the next time you open your hive make sure that all the frames are tight up against each other to correct your beespace and check your hive to see if its level from left to right! There are alot of threads on here pertaining to your problem, you can do a search at the top for any more further detail. But if you correct those few things that i mentioned you should be back on track! Good Luck!
This was a question I meant to ask and didn't. :doh:I have 8 frames i an 8 frame and still have wiggle room. I didn't know where to put that extra room, so I kind of divided it out. Now if I squish it together, a think it might smoosh their bee space. Next time I will pack it all to one side! Do you put a blank or something on the roomy side to keep them from filling that up? :scratch:

·
Registered
120 Posts
I've only got two hives for now.

Do you really think I should keep scraping off their odd comb? I'm starting to feel like they probably need any space they can get. What if they have capped brood in that odd comb?

I'm pretty sure my hives are level but maybe I'll take a level out to the hives and check each one of them and see how they compare. And I do push the frames up near each other as close as I can. I run 10 frame equipment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts