Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On two of my hives there are a good amount of bees at entrance moving back and forth with their heads down and antenna under them and scrubbing real fast with their front legs on bottom board just outside entrance and right above entrance. What is up with this behavior? Seems like a wast of effort.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I have a hive doing the same thing today. I don't have a clue what they're doing. Mind if I wait for an answer with you? ;)

·
Registered
406 Posts
What is up with this behavior? Seems like a wast of effort.
The bees don't think it's a waste.

Relax - they will get over it (and some other bees will take their place and do the exact same thing!)

·
Registered
779 Posts
My bees too, rocking forward and backwards scratching the surface with their front legs, heads down.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Washboarding. I don't think anyone really knows why they do it, but they normally do it when the flow is over.
It is mentioned it the lit. Only speculation as to why. In my experience it appears to happen often in healthy colonies. Perhaps they are marking their turf?:D Smoothing out the landing pad? It's fun to watch, & nothing to worry about the way I see it.

It appears to mostly involve bees that are ~ 15-25 days old, for what that's worth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
White clover still all over the place and my bees are drawing honey out fast. I've noticed them doing this scrubbing for couple weeks so flow seems to be still on.
I've noticed you can disturb them while they are scrubbing like by touching them and they didn't get defensive and quickly got back to scrubbing. So I assumed it was young bees.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts