Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 hives and hive #2 i done a queen release inspection and the queen was released. I couldnt find the queen and it seemed like everything is going ok so far for a 5 day inspection. I closed it up and went to hive #1, it was installed 11 days ago. I couldnt find the queen but the bees was really sluggish...I have no idea how they act and what times of day they might pick up the pace but to me they was just slow. Plus i seen a few with just their heads in the cell like they are starving and thats impossible when they have 3 jars and brood building patties. I added some honey b healthy to their 1:1 feed mix, hopefully that will perk them up some. I seen some moisture as well. I have a SBB opened all the time, then a deep hive body, inner cover, a double jar feeder and a empty hive body covering the jars and a screen before the lid, smooth side down. Should i take the screen out??.I dont see any reason why but im just trying to find out if anything is wrong and describe the best i can! Thanks for any advice!!

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
Does hive #1 have brood? frames with stores?
What are the temps there day/night?

The bees may have their heads in the cells for many reasons - cleaning, caring, eating, keeping the nest warm, etc..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But dont you want to make sure there is no queen before you attempt to do something like that??? My next question now is: How does all the bees act when there isnt a queen???? You would think there would be queen cells and i didnt see any. This package was suppose to have a marked queen and it didnt!

Its been 80-85 during the day for the last 3 days and around 58-62 of a night! We had alot of rain & thunderstorms and flooding over the weekend!

Both hives had brood but not alot but then again Hive#1 is 11 days old and Hive #2 is 5 days old! They are building comb!

·
Registered
453 Posts
It sounds to me like hive #2 was doing fine. Why replace the queen?

Honestly, sounds to me like they are both doing fine. I'd check back in a week on hive #1 so see if there is a difference.

·
Registered
453 Posts
But dont you want to make sure there is no queen before you attempt to do something like that??? My next question now is: How does all the bees act when there isnt a queen???? You would think there would be queen cells and i didnt see any. This package was suppose to have a marked queen and it didnt!
A hive without a queen is very agitated and aggressive. Not at all what you have described.

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
Agree. I would do another check in a few days before trying to re-queen.
Obviously temps aren't the problem. Sounds like a lot of glum weather though.
If they are building comb, have brood, and stores then you are ok - so far.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just went out to visually check the hives and both hives the bees are flying in and out working away like they should be. I dont see anything to be concerned about from visually looking from the outside. I took notice that the first inspection i did on the first hive a week ago they had built comb on the underside of the inner cover and when i took the inner cover off the comb fell down through and landed on the screened bottom board. Will the bees take care of that and reuse it some how or do you have to clean up their mess???? If so i can always fish it out the next time i do an inspection! I want them to do it the natural way!

·
Banned
1,016 Posts
I don't know if they will clean it up or not. Bees do what they were created for.
I imagine if it is left long enough they will clean it out, of course if they are busy they may decide to leave it for later. Bees are wild. They will do what they were created for if you let them.

Mike

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep i agree! I was gonna chech the clump the next time i go back. It wont take much to get it out, i just wanted to give them a chance to use it. It all clear stuff in the comb!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts