Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey im in delaware and its warm today and my bees are flyuing like crazy!!!!!!!!!!! anyway i went to check on them and guess what theyare bring back loads of polin all over there legs, big chunks stuck to them and I thought This is impossible how can they be brining back nectar when its winter, there are no flowers around that I can see and I did look around

I looked it up and bees can fly for many miles, so I think they are probably flying south to where there are still flowers and then flying home.Im guessing than these ones coming in the the polin have been gone for weekes scavenging,?? and just finally coming home,?
these bees arethe most amazing animals ever !!!'7t68*%*!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
Bees can indeed fly many miles, like 8, but typically a couple to a few. I don't think your bees are flying to south carolina and then coming back.

If I had to guess, I would think your bees may be getting into some flowering trees or shrubs that have tiny little flowers that you don't notice. Maybe witch hazel.

If you'd like, google pollen color charts and compare the color pollen you saw with the chart. Believe it or not, in some areas, things may be blooming here and there. But don't drop your guard, it most likely won't be steady enough to be a reliable source for your bees to make it to spring. Still heft your hives and be mindful of stores. Just because pollen is coming in does not mean nectar is.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah but they take off for weeks at a time, but i guess they all look the same pretty Much, so mayb the ones i think are gone for weeks are really diffrent ones only gone for like a week

or i also was reading that they can rob other hives so maybe they got into oneo f the neighbor hives and are taking all there pollin , the rascals!!!!!!*(!!!! yeah i didn't think it was south carolina that is ridiclous, but maybe north carolina where theres still some flowers left flowering

I'm learning a lot about nature from these things, and to think there just insect with wings!!!!**!(!!!!
they sould make a show about bees called incredible things, Id watch that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
864 Posts
The idea of your bees flying to N Carolina is equally ridiculous. Your bees are probably flying 2 miles maybe 3, foraging on what they found, then returning home. 4 to 6 miles total at 15 mph plus some time gathering. I dunno half hour, 40 mins. An hour? The point is that bees don't go on long voyages and come back a week later.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
It is also possible that your hive found a greenhouse or a truck load of flowers or some other non standard source of pollen for this time of year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well mayb that s true about a truck, but who knows,

and guess waht today when i was looking at the front of the hive i got bit in the face!!!!!!*(!!!!! one came out just as i was getting up to leave and bit me under my eye, it swolled up so bad

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
It's a bell curve how far they will fly. In other words you can take almost any forager and take them a mile and a half from their hive and they will bee line back to it. But if you take them more than a mile and a half many won't know the way home. So you can surmise from that that ALL of them fly a mile and a half. Not all of them fly more but some of them do. In a dearth and in desperation they may fly a very long way. Brother Adam said his English AMM used to fly 5 miles to the heather and make a crop from it.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I've seen bees go to ground feed bins that hold ground livestock feed (cattle, sheep, hogs, etc). They will collect grain dust and/or molasses from them in a pinch.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
This is impossible how can they be brining back nectar when its winter, there are no flowers around that I can see and I did look around
They are likely simply flying to the nearest bird feeder or a farmstead and picking up some corn meal or something of sort.
That simple.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Your bees have found a sheltered spot; greenhouse, camellia or sesanqua and are bringing in pollen but probably not any nectar. Feed them some dry sugar.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
Delaware is a major chicken producing state. Likely they are getting into a chicken house close by and munching on the powdered feed. Worker bees rarely if ever fly more than 3 miles from the hive. Queens and drone have been known to fly farther, up to 7 miles. Sorry, I can't cite the paper I read that in. Anyhow, they need the protein. Why don't you put out some pollen sub for them? A 10# pail of UltraBee will last a long time and give your bees the nutrition they need to make it through winter. Don't forget the dry sugar too. They need carbs to keep warm.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I also had a yard that was near some marshy area and my first year there the bees were bringing in pollen on January 3rd that year. Now it was above freezing for about 5 days and a couple of those days got up to 55 or 60. So something was blooming and can be there as well. As has been stated there are many factors that will work out well for the bees. For me that one hive was a great hive coming out of winter. As has been said don't let them run out of stores. Dry sugar on top is a great safeguard.

·
Premium Member
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
I think as a new beek he is serious. Misguided perhaps, but still serious. After all, monarch butterflys travel great distances as they migrate. I don't know what their top speed is but I doubt it is 15 mph unless they have a tailwind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts