Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So bare with me a little bit, this is my first hive that I started from a package back at the beginning of April here in north NJ, they are absolutely thriving right now, I’ve got the better part of 6 frames drawn so this morning I put my second deep on for them.

It’s been raining pretty much non stop around here, so I haven’t had much time to keep a close eye on them, and have been feeding 1-1 sugar water via top feeder since starting the hive. I’ve got varying stages of brood throughout and I’m pretty happy with what I see (for what I know to look for anyway)

But what I learned today was I guess they felt crowded now that the brood is maturing, and my frames weren’t spaced at all correctly, I have comb on the bottom of my feeder and on the bottom of the frames, and a pretty well complete section of comb that’s formed on the inside of the hive wall between the first frame and the wall. It’s not crossed to the frame, they’re just treating it like another piece of frame. I’m leaning towards just letting it be because of how full it is and being mindful of when I take that frame in and out, and be aware for the future. I’d hate to scrape all that off!

What do you guys think? I don’t have a picture right now unfortunately

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not so much expecting it to get better but was thinking if it’s not causing much of an issue (in my eyes anyway) could it just be left alone.

I’ll clean it up if you think I should though

·
Super Moderator
Aylett, VA 10-frame double deep Langstroth
6,888 Posts
See if you can slice it off in a single piece and then rubber band it into an empty frame. # 64 rubber bands from the office supply store work great for this. I always carry a few in the pocket of my bee suit since you never know what you will find when you open a hive. ( I also carry a queen clip, just in case). Comb that is not in the frame should be cleaned up every time you go into a hive, nothing to gain from leaving it there but headaches and heartaches.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I went in today and cleaned it up, was no easy task, but thankfully it was mostly just uncapped “honey” (presumably from my top feeder) and a couple pollen cells. Scraped it off and of course it fell down into the hive so I had to reach in and grab it (girls did not appreciate this very much and they let me know)

I was able to stick it to one of the frames in my new top brood box in a couple sections. figure if nothing else it at least gives them something to start with, and they can relocate the syrup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts