Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I brand new to beekeeping and just installed my two new hives on Saturday. Yesterday evening I took a peek under the bottom screen and noticed that there are clusters of bees in both hives directly over where we put the queen cages (low in the hive on the 8th frames suspended with rubber bands).

I didn't think much of this until I read last night about "balling" around the queen as a behavior where the hive decides to kill its queen. Do you think this is what could be going on??? It's only been one day so I was thinking that she wouldn't have even been freed yet. Or could the cluster in both of my hives be some other normal behavior???

I did use a small drill bit as taught in our bee school to put a small hole through the candy plug to give the bees a head start but there was definitely still a lot of the candy plug still left. (they suggested we do this at bee school).

Thank you for any thoughts on what might be going on here.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Perfectly normal, if it takes a week to release her there is nothing wrong with that. Her pheremone will be that much stronger. Let them do there thing and get used to her. Good luck with your bees.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts