Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife called me and said that I have lots of bees bearding on the outside of the hive entrance and a bunch more flying all around acting "wild". I already had my bees swarm once this year. Is this what happens when they do again? If so, how can I capture the swarm? She says they're more of them than usual.

I went into my bees the other day and they were mad! it was the first time I've been stung in 2 years. they were extremely agressive and even my smoke didn't calm them that much.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
sounds like robbing to me. you are likely in the summer dearth there. do a search at the top of the page for "robber screen".
good luck,mike

·
Registered
218 Posts
I make ventilated entrance reducers out of the screen that they put on the package boxes. I cut the screen to fit tight in front of the entrance bend it into a V and then use big white tacks to hold it in place. I just cut a 1/2 inch space in the center or as big as you want and they can defend that entrance but get full ventilation. Last night I made two ventilated inner covers with plywood and screens from package boxes as well. Works great, keeps bees in/ out and you prop up the telscopng cover and it ventilates well.

My bearding prettymuch goes away when I prop the cover with a ventilated inner cover.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts