Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Picked up my two nucs this morning. The beekeeper installed them in my deeps, sealed the entrance with foam. He said when I get home, wait around thirty minutes to let bees calm down, remove the foam and let the bees get used to their new location.

Well the weatherman got the forecast wrong this morning, looks like it will rain most of the day, and I know bees dont fly in the rain. It seems to be a poor time to open up a hive brought to a new home.

Would the bees have any problems if they were sealed in the hive for the next 5-6 hrs?

·
Premium Member
976 Posts
That's bizarre, sealed the entire entrance closed? No openings at all? If so That seller needs his head checked.

Hopefully they're not already dead.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
2,529 Posts
i would use number 8 screen or window screen, total seal is needing removal ASAP.

GG

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Forgot to mention, I’m using screen bottom boards lol. The rain stopped sooner than expected. The main entrance sealed/plugged with a piece of thin foam cut to size for transportation.

Stopped raining quite sooner than expected. Removed the foam, the bees love their new home.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Well I'm interested in if the guy using the foam actually had a higher or lower survival rate than normal. And similarly for absconding rates. If someone can say they've tested a technique a number of years and proven it I don't mind. But often on videos you don't see people saying they've tested new ideas. They don't say anything, so it leaves you wondering what the heck.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Some foam is breathable, I use it to as well to seal my entrances when moving hives. Works great and is a lot quicker to install and remove that hardware cloth. I cut strips out of some 1/2" scrap pieces from my wife's craft room to fit whatever size opening, be it the full width or a reduced entrance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts