Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question but by standing in my bee yards looking up to the sky, I have noticed many times a 'river' of bees streaming back to the hives just minutes before the rain starts. It's quite a sight all the bees inbound at the same time and not one flying in the outbound direction. Sometimes the rain is seconds away from falling as they make it back in.
Sure some get caught out, but it appears to me almost all make it back to the hive. I think. :)

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
look at them just before, or rather the air above just before it rains and you'll be amazed further. I know how quickly to finish up working on those rain days by 'the river in the sky flowing to the hive'.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
I don't know the answer to your question but by standing in my bee yards looking up to the sky, I have noticed many times a 'river' of bees streaming back to the hives just minutes before the rain starts. It's quite a sight all the bees inbound at the same time and not one flying in the outbound direction. Sometimes the rain is seconds away from falling as they make it back in.
Sure some get caught out, but it appears to me almost all make it back to the hive. I think. :)
Very true. Bees that can't fly back, seek shelter. If you've ever closed your hive overnight, you'll notice a few bees in the morning trying to get in. Those are ones that were out too late the night before and did'nt fly back.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Most are home before it rains,:eek: Took some nucs to some outyards 50+ miles from home that i made up from two hives that had swarm cells and set them out between rains.Decided to check some hives between showers i requeened two weeks ago, all the queens had been released, But they wasn't happy about me taking the lid off and pulling 3 or 4 frames looking for eggs. I knew better than to work them on a cloudy rainy day with wet gloves and smock:no: quit counting hits after 11 on my left hand and several on my legs and back, but with gasoline $3.39 a gal. and over an hour drive what's a man to do. Got home about 5:30 pm today, and i can make a fist with my left hand now. So i'm pretty sure most are home in rainy weather.:scratch:

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Very true. Bees that can't fly back, seek shelter. If you've ever closed your hive overnight, you'll notice a few bees in the morning trying to get in. Those are ones that were out too late the night before and did'nt fly back.
I guess they can't wallow with the pigs at night and fly with eagles in the morning. Just like the rest of us.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts