Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a pond fed by storm runoff behind my house that stays wet year round. I assume the bees will use this as a water source and I am not planning to make anything else available (yet) because it is so close.

Will this affect the honey taste, or should I plan to come up with some other water source for them?

·
Registered
175 Posts
Pond water will be fine...If you give them clean water, they're not going to be interested in it anyway.

Typically, the dirtier the water, the more they're attracted to it. Probably has something to do with them locating it by smell.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you

Pond water will be fine...If you give them clean water, they're not going to be interested in it anyway.

Typically, the dirtier the water, the more they're attracted to it. Probably has something to do with them locating it by smell.

·
Super Moderator
10,456 Posts
agree with moots. i have a pond about 50 paces from the hives, and the bees suck the water out of the mud at the bank.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I was watching mine dig little holes and suck the water 50 ft away from the hive when there was a puddle 2 ft. Bees will be bees, lol.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've got a chicken waterer hanging about 15 yards from the hives and a creek about 125 yards away. Not saying they are not using the creek but they are all over the chicken waterer. Filled with well water. When it's hot and dry out you would think it was filled with syrup with all the bees on it.
I put gravel in mote so the bees don't drown, maybe the minerals leach from them?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts