Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime this year, the hayfields at the farm where my bee are living will be sprayed with a nonselective herbicided to remove all the fecsue. This probable won't happen until the Fall. I was wondering if anyone has any information about how this might affect my bees.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Probably not Roundup,It would also kill the hayfield.Not knowing for
sure,but my quess would be a formulation of 2,4-d. It is a weedkiller for broadleaf weeds in hayfields and other grasses.
Keith

·
Registered
10 Posts
If He was wanting to kill all of the hayfield Roundup would probably
be the chemical of choice. It would kill the weeds and grasses.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
a fall spraying of a herbicide wont hurt your bees. good luck,mike

·
Registered
2,792 Posts
I suspect your bees will be better off in the long run. Native vegetation often includes some wildflowers, likely more than in a fescue hayfield.

The real danger that I see in herbicides for bees is the widespread use of broadleaf herbicides to kill off "weeds," leaving nothing but grasses. Bees need broadleaved plants as pollen and nectar sources. Just grasses equals no food for bees.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I bet that if you are going to native grasses they will treat the field with round up. From pasture to native grasses? I know you go from row crop to native grasses in CRP. I have done that here on some fields. Native grasses dosent seem to be great pasture. but.... on to your question.... I have had no problem with using a systemic non selective herbicide near my bees. In fact I have treated under my hives in the evening with round up. The only herbicide i would have much concern about is gromoxone. (sp)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts