Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I am a newbie started last year.

I was at local book store looking at bee books and I met a gentleman there that was also a bee keeper.
He was telling me he sings while he checks his hives and swears the bees are calmer due to this, I have never heard of this was he making this up?

The real question is I can't sing and if I try I'm sure I would terrify the bees so I was thinking maybe bring an iPod out with me and try it, any recommendations of music honey bees might like??

Cheers

·
Registered
175 Posts
Hate to break from the witty theme here. :D But on a somewhat serious "note"...pun intended! :)

I have heard/read that talking to your bees keeps them calm...I want to say maybe this is in some old writings by Langstroth, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, I've tried it and would swear it has some merit to it. My theory being that me talking to the bees really helps to keep me calm, which in turn, means calmer bees.

·
Registered
5,540 Posts
I subscribe to the talk- (or sing) to-your-bees school of thought. But then having lived long enough to be an actual old crone, this probably doesn't appear as weird for me to do as it might for a younger person. I also call a greeting to them as I approach to get them thinking about all the nice things that happen when I visit: SUGAR BRICKS!!! (and warm blankets on frigid nights.).

Does it work? I think it might because it may condition the hive mind to discern between me and other, less benign, visitors, particularly at night. I just sing nonsense songs that I make up extemporaneously, I suspect its the pitch of my voice not the tune which has an effect, if anything does. I also trained myself to make a 240 hz hum, which I can use when I need my brain for thinking about what the heck to do next and not whatever song I'm making up.

I've spent all winter reminding them nearly every day that they had to re-orient when they next left the hive (because I moved them after the winter started). It seems to have worked, because when they flew out in great abandon today, none of them returned to their old stands. Or maybe being cooped inside for four months is was what did the trick. Never mind, I lavishly praised them for being such smart, pretty girls. Flattery seems to work with bees, especially flattery dispensed in tuneless doggerel.

Enj.

·
Banned
7,861 Posts
It is true! Music has a calming affect on the bees if you play it right. They can sense your nervousness and
turn nasty at times. Humming your favorite song will calm them down if you don't know how to sing too.
And so is playing Mozart versus the heavy metal music to them. I wonder how they would react to these
2 extreme types. Maybe next time you can ask your beekeeper friend at the library how the bees will
react when they hear the heavy metal. Time to bring out the boom box. But don't forget the bee suit too.

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,192 Posts
Bee can certainly feel vibrations. It's doubtful they can "hear" in the conventional sense. I'm sure singing helps keep YOU calm and that helps keep the bees calm... but you would have to sing REALLY loud for them to feel the vibration, I think...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I play everything from black Sabbath to classical piano to news talk and they seem ok with it .:D
Good music is all ways good mixed with bees.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
Hate to break from the witty theme here. :D But on a somewhat serious "note"...pun intended! :)

I have heard/read that talking to your bees keeps them calm...I want to say maybe this is in some old writings by Langstroth, but I could be mistaken. Anyway, I've tried it and would swear it has some merit to it. My theory being that me talking to the bees really helps to keep me calm, which in turn, means calmer bees.
Yup, that's what I was going to say.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts