Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with ponds ever notice bees diving head first into moss? The last three days I have noticed lots of bees digging around in moss by my pond. Are they sucking up water? Pollen? Nectar? What?

This pic doesn't really show what I mean. Just before I bent over to snap this there were three bees with nothing showing but their hinders and they were bobing up and down. Very curious...
20190601_194335.jpg

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
We have lots of moss here and the bees are all over it in the spring. They are collecting water and minerals.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Our bees very much like the moss that covers a good part of the "falls" for our patio fish pond, especially in early spring.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I agree it is probably the water and the minerals. I have seen my bees working a bag of wet dirt go get the water and minerals out of it when there were other water sources.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Water dish evolution:

1. First I placed a small dish of shallow water: they drowned.
2. Then I placed a small dish of shallow water with small rocks: some drowned.
3. Finally I placed a large dish with moss and topped it with water: they love it. Some walk on the moss to cool their feet and drink, most walk around the edge, spend time with each other and drink. And sometimes, I like to tickle their bum.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BxaQbpDF_R-/?utm_source=ig_web_button_native_share

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was following along until...

... And sometimes, I like to tickle their bum.
There's a twelve step program for folks like you! :lpf:

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I have noticed this too around my pond and stream. I think it is just easier and safer for them to gather moisture primarily. Like drinking from a sponge. I understand there is some debate about this, but I believe they also are in search of minerals. We know they like skanky water, are frequently on compost piles and in the soil of potted plants. They like chlorine and they like pee and salt. Without a scientific study to back me, and with other reasonable explanations possible, I will say they seek minerals until there is a study that disproves this. J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts