Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read in Beekeeping, A Practical Guide by Richard Bonney that bees do not like to be near horses. Has anyone found this to be true? I have an opportunity to place a hive on a farm, but the farm has horses. How far away from the horses would the hives need to be or is this just not a good idea? Thanks.

[ March 27, 2006, 07:42 PM: Message edited by: NoviceBee ]

·
Registered
353 Posts
I would say if you can place the hives a ways off from the pasture the horses are in, it would probably be ok.

I'd be sure and talk to the farm owners about it...make sure you are insured in case something does happen to the horses/any other livestock or humans.

LaRae

·
Registered
702 Posts
I grew up on a farm with horses and bees, it wasn't much of a problem as long the bees have plenty of room when accessing hive, how much??...perhaps 20 to 40 yards. Better yet, having the bees south of the horses.
Konrad

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,199 Posts
>I read in Beekeeping, A Practical Guide by Richard Bonney that bees do not like to be near horses. Has anyone found this to be true? I have an opportunity to place a hive on a farm, but the farm has horses. How far away from the horses would the hives need to be or is this just not a good idea? Thanks.

I have bees in the middle of the horse pasture. You have to fence them off, so they horses don't knock them over. You have to have the horses in enough space they can get away in case the bees do attack them. My black horses graze right up as close as they can get to the front of the hives. You DO have to allow some space. Horses have very long necks and a very sweet tooth. I've had them eat bee equipment and knock hives over that were on the other side of the fence. Take that into account when you put up the fence.

www.bushfarms.com\friesians.htm

I would NOT ever have a horse tied or constricted in a pen close to hives where they can't run away if they need to.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
>You have to fence them off, so they horses don't knock them over

Some time back Dewey Caron gave a presentation on bees pests. One of his slides showed a tipped over hive and some strewn frames. He asked what we thought was the culprit. Everyone agreed it looked as though a bear had gotten hold of the hive. Dewey then told us the damage was done by a horse kicking over a hive. It sure looked like bear damage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.