Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put fondant on about two weeks ago. Last Friday I noticed they had started in on the fondant. Should I be concerned they are already out of stores or are they just being pigs? I cannot imagine them being out of stores. It just got cold.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Little teenage pigs. If you got plenty of weight then the fondant is not needed. I would wait to do late February checks and have it ready as an emergency feed. March and April are "beekeeper kills bees by starvation months".

·
Registered
205 Posts
I put fondant on about two weeks ago. Last Friday I noticed they had started in on the fondant. Should I be concerned they are already out of stores or are they just being pigs? I cannot imagine them being out of stores. It just got cold.
Leave it on and keep replenishing it as needed.

They may be 'being pigs' but better to be safe than to open it up come spring and find them starved.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
They will always consume acceptable food that is not stored before they will consume their stored food (honey and pollen in the combs). It would make no sense to eat all of your stored food when there is fresh available. The stored food is for when the fresh food runs out or there is not enough of it to feed the hive.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I've often wondered if putting on candy boards/sugar bricks/fondant too soon draws bees up to it and they stay there for winter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts