Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve noticed lately some have been on the ground. But today I went out, and A LOT were on the ground and some in clusters. I don’t see any mites on the ones on the ground and their wings look normal. There’s also been a yellow liquid splashed everywhere lately too. I’ll show a picture of the bees on the ground and then a picture of the yellow liquid. Please let me know if y’all can think of anything that may be wrong or if this is normal.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Dysentery?
Bees on the ground around a hive can sometimes mean an insecticide poisoning. Are they dopey or active? Lots of dead ones?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dysentery?
Bees on the ground around a hive can sometimes mean an insecticide poisoning. Are they dopey or active? Lots of dead ones?
Thank you for the quick reply. They are just walking around, some standing completely still. I don’t think they are able to fly anymore. We do have a mosquito truck that comes and sprays in our neighborhood. But I thought they’d be fine since other people in our neighborhood have bees and seem to do fine with them.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Thank you for the quick reply. They are just walking around, some standing completely still. I don’t think they are able to fly anymore. We do have a mosquito truck that comes and sprays in our neighborhood. But I thought they’d be fine since other people in our neighborhood have bees and seem to do fine with them.
If the truck was around that day or the day before you first saw this, I'd say that's a good sign you have the culprit. Any way to get their schedule, so you can stop the bees flying while they are spraying?

This brings to memory when I was a kid, playing Little League baseball, and the plane buzzing overhead fogging the whole town. We kept playing. I wonder now what chemical they were using. These days half the kids would have a asthma attack, and half the parents would sue the township. We are probably down 10 or 20 IQ points from all the chemicals we were subjected to!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Nosema, you need to look this up and be cautious as there are two types. N. Apis, and N Ceranae. This spreads by contaminated water sources and food stores. You can send samples to USDA-ARS Bee Research Lab in Beltsville, you can also field test which is pretty much dissection of abdomen looking for swelling in the mid gut, will be dull grayish white. This is one of the most common adult bee diseases. Below is picture of honey bee honey stomach and midgut. There is a ton of info out there on treatment, hopefully it’s just dysentary as stated above but with your description I would make sure, seeing as how you believe they cannot fly.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the truck was around that day or the day before you first saw this, I'd say that's a good sign you have the culprit. Any way to get their schedule, so you can stop the bees flying while they are spraying?

This brings to memory when I was a kid, playing Little League baseball, and the plane buzzing overhead fogging the whole town. We kept playing. I wonder now what chemical they were using. These days half the kids would have a asthma attack, and half the parents would sue the township. We are probably down 10 or 20 IQ points from all the chemicals we were subjected to!
They come at night so hopefully the bees aren’t out then. I will look into it.

Its crazy how things have changed. Haha :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don’t want to scare you just want you to be aware while mosquito spray could be a culprit the issue I find with theory is the toxins used to destroy mosquitos would most likely have killed a lot of bees before being able to return to the hive.
bifenthrin, deltamethrin, and permethrinare all highly toxic to bees, killing them on contact and for one or more days after treatment, a fact the EPA itself acknowledges. The following is part of a write up on this issue although I don’t remember the source off hand. Fumagilin is an antibiotic used for Nosema should that be the issue, but in many states you can only get it from the vet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nosema, you need to look this up and be cautious as there are two types. N. Apis, and N Ceranae. This spreads by contaminated water sources and food stores. You can send samples to USDA-ARS Bee Research Lab in Beltsville, you can also field test which is pretty much dissection of abdomen looking for swelling in the mid gut, will be dull grayish white. This is one of the most common adult bee diseases. Below is picture of honey bee honey stomach and midgut. There is a ton of info out there on treatment, hopefully it’s just dysentary as stated above but with your description I would make sure, seeing as how you believe they cannot fly. View attachment 64705
Oh no. :( I looked it up and this does seem to fit them.. I’ve already spent a lot of money on these guys trying to prevent diseases. It’s just dissapointing, I didn’t think having bees would be this complicated. Do you think the bees will all die off if I don’t treat them?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Don’t panic, just make sure first, as this will most likely spread through the area if the source isn’t found. It sounds like it could be doesn't mean that it is. Damp hives, lack of sunlight, cold weather can cause things which mimic, so check your hive position and the inside moisture level.

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you think this is from the mosquito spray I would check strong microbials they have a product out that they claim to help bees that have been exposed to pesticides... never tried it but heard a presentation about said product on the beekeeping today podcast.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Do you think the bees will all die off if I don’t treat
Ok so as previously stated Fumagilin is what most use to treat, That Said, I have used other methods with success but that is no guarantee they work in this case. I use tea tree oil as it is anti bacterial and fungal, I will mix 4-5 drops, with 3 drops of wintergreen oil, into a gallon of sugar syrup1:2, you will need to emulsify the oils in 1 cup of water so they will mix with the syrup. You do that by placing the water and oils in a blender and let it run for five minutes. When I was starting out I was obsessed with FatBeeMan and so I take no credit for the idea, that said it’s kind of up to you. Back then Fumagilin was out because I wanted no type of antibiotic in my hives, and really I couldn’t afford the stuff. I hope all works out.
Cody

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok so as previously stated Fumagilin is what most use to treat, That Said, I have used other methods with success but that is no guarantee they work in this case. I use tea tree oil as it is anti bacterial and fungal, I will mix 4-5 drops, with 3 drops of wintergreen oil, into a gallon of sugar syrup1:2, you will need to emulsify the oils in 1 cup of water so they will mix with the syrup. You do that by placing the water and oils in a blender and let it run for five minutes. When I was starting out I was obsessed with FatBeeMan and so I take no credit for the idea, that said it’s kind of up to you. Back then Fumagilin was out because I wanted no type of antibiotic in my hives, and really I couldn’t afford the stuff. I hope all works out.
Cody
Thanks Cody. I just bought some fumagilin online along with a feeder that I can put in the hive. I think it may take up to a week or 2 to arrive. Do you think it’ll be too late to treat them by then or do you think they’ll still have a possibility of recovering? I’m just anxious about it is all.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It’s hard to say, and hey dysentery mimics this so there is really nothing to do but what you’ve already done. Keep an eye them, make sure they have food and water. Check your hive as stated above. You want to find out though as it could mean having to sterilize your equipment etc. I believe testing is still free through the USDA, or maybe even your state agricultural department which is a great resource you can call. I had this issue my first year to, and someone almost had me convinced to burn the hive, frames, etc. Those bees made it, and while I had to disinfect the box’s, frames , foundation, and lost a lot of drawn comb the equipment, and daughters of said hive are still in use today. Remember there’s no real way of saying for sure aside from testing , so try not to worry to much. Hope it all works out.
Cody

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It’s hard to say, and hey dysentery mimics this so there is really nothing to do but what you’ve already done. Keep an eye them, make sure they have food and water. Check your hive as stated above. You want to find out though as it could mean having to sterilize your equipment etc. I believe testing is still free through the USDA, or maybe even your state agricultural department which is a great resource you can call. I had this issue my first year to, and someone almost had me convinced to burn the hive, frames, etc. Those bees made it, and while I had to disinfect the box’s, frames , foundation, and lost a lot of drawn comb the equipment, and daughters of said hive are still in use today. Remember there’s no real way of saying for sure aside from testing , so try not to worry to much. Hope it all works out.
Cody
Thank you so much! This helps me out. And I really appreciate you getting back with me so fast.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Some farming stores carry bee feed or supplements for bees.. it might not hurt to see what they carry and see what other options are out there that won’t take a few weeks to get.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some farming stores carry bee feed or supplements for bees.. it might not hurt to see what they carry and see what other options are out there that won’t take a few weeks to get.
I should’ve thought of this before buying online. Good idea, thank you! Will look around today.

·
Registered
2 Lagstroth hives
10 Posts
We do have a mosquito truck that comes and sprays in our neighborhood. But I thought they’d be fine since other people in our neighborhood have bees and seem to do fine with them.
[/QUOTE]

I called the county mosquito control in the county that i live in, and they put me on a "no spray list". I also put a big no spraying sign just off the road by my apiary.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
We do have a mosquito truck that comes and sprays in our neighborhood. But I thought they’d be fine since other people in our neighborhood have bees and seem to do fine with them.
I called the county mosquito control in the county that i live in, and they put me on a "no spray list". I also put a big no spraying sign just off the road by my apiary.
[/QUOTE]
Wow, that’s awesome! I didn’t know I could do this, thank you.

·
Registered
552 Posts
If they are spraying at night and other beekeepers in your area are doing fine with no complaints, then something else is afoot. Be careful with the fumagilin. I remember when I first started beekeeping that it was recommended that whenever you got new bees, you feed them fumagilin to get rid of potential N apis. They no longer recommend that since N ceranae is resistant to it. Never hurts to try, best of luck.

Other than the bees outside the hive, how is the inside of the hive looking?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If they are spraying at night and other beekeepers in your area are doing fine with no complaints, then something else is afoot. Be careful with the fumagilin. I remember when I first started beekeeping that it was recommended that whenever you got new bees, you feed them fumagilin to get rid of potential N apis. They no longer recommend that since N ceranae is resistant to it. Never hurts to try, best of luck.

Other than the bees outside the hive, how is the inside of the hive looking?
Thank you. I got fumadil-B, not sure if that’s the same thing as Fumagilin. A beekeeper I know told me to get it but didn’t mention the other type of nosema not responding so hopefully it works. If not, is there a method to treating the nosema C?
On the inside, whenever I checked about a week ago (not knowing anything was wrong), they seemed to be doing their regular thing. I just was noticing the feces here and there on the outside of their hive and some inside too. I am going to check them again this upcoming Monday whenever the medicine comes in.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts