Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I have been browsing the forum for at least a year now with very few posts but figured now is as good a time as any to introduce myself. My interest in bees started back when I was probably 10 or so. A neighbor kept bees and I thought that was very cool. I got to go over and watch as he inspected his hives and we talked about setting up some hives but never actually got around to it. Now 20 years later I'm finally following through. Unfortunately the neighbor who had bees is now quite elderly and has moved away to be closer to his family, I wish I had done this sooner and could have learned from him.

I started with two hives last year and have learned a lot from them, as of last weekend one is still going. It is interesting the one that I lost was much stronger going into September but seemed to go downhill from then. People I have talked to suggested it could have been mites, which the more I read makes sense to me. The hive that is still going initially started out stronger but then superseded and never caught back up with the one that stuck with their original queen.

One forum related question, how do I change my location? It appears to be set automatically, but is wrong. I'm in Granby MA not Dracut, that's about 2 hours away.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welcome! I wish I knew how to help with your location, but I'm very new myself. Nice to have you here though. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome Granby MA,

I am a newcomer from Tennessee. I had a similar experience this year from my stronger hive. Hope to learn more in year two.

Lee

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone!

High neighbor! I am right next door in South Hadley.

If you ever want to talk or visit the bee yard PM me!

Welcome aboard!
Thanks! I'll have to do that, it'd be interesting to see how someone who knows what their doing does things ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts