Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought out another beek who's in Baghdad and needed to sell his stuff. Stashed a bunch of stuff in a shop building and stacked some deeps that had been taken over by moths outside. Next day they were covered by bees although the shop is nowhere close to my bees. There was a 3 gallon aluminum kettle half full of wax in the equipment, and I set it outside on it's side to soften it up so I could clean it. The wax softened, and the honey underneath ran all over the place. The following day the ground was covered with dead and dying bees. No dead around the deeps, so I suspect the honey had been heated to a point that it lost all enzymes etc. and became a toxic trap. No telling how long it had been in the kettle under the wax, but it was sure long enough to grow some nasty poison. Lesson learned.

·
Premium Member
8,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'd guess it's more likely there was a feeding frenzy that turned into a free for all fight.
I think you're right. When I flipped the kettle back over yesterday there were bees inside that were fine. I'd set it upside down in the sand to seal it off, so I don't think any bees got in or out. They seemed no worse for the wear.

·
Registered
764 Posts
If you have yellow jackets like i do that could be it too.They are thick here this year and they do not get along with honey bees at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts