Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

61 - 64 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I took 2 supers of honey off of a colony today that was being used to store them. One was moved to a hive that needed the stores for winter. One is here at the house waiting to be extracted.

It was interesting to watch the bees today as the temperature was just below 50 degrees. The colonies that were flying had the darkest colored bees while the colonies that were not flying were mostly light colored.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
It has begun. Spring that is. I drove to Birmingham yesterday and saw numerous pear and plum trees either partially or fully in bloom.

I finally got my 1993 S10 pickup truck running and now have a way to move hives.

Frames? Yes, frames. I need a bunch of them this year as I intend to renew some combs and add a few more colonies.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Today was my first major time to go through the bees and put supers on. Please keep in mind that I have very few early nectar sources in this area other than fruit bloom. The bees were mostly low on stores and just getting into heavy buildup. The main flow should start in 3 weeks or a tad less. I put supers on all but 2 colonies that are too weak. I split two colonies that were very strong. One was hive #4 which had the lowest mite count last fall. They had one queen cell with a small larva. That was the only queen cell I found today with thorough checking of each colony. The weakest colony was #8 which had the highest mite count last fall. I was surprised they were still alive.

I have to get 4 boxes of deep frames ready to go on by next weekend and I need at least 10 more supers ready within 2 weeks. I have the supers sitting in my greenhouse waiting on foundation to be inserted. The deeps are there too, but are frames that need to be cleaned and new foundation installed. After 4 years of use, a lot of my frames have been re-worked into drone cells. I want to renew the frames after 4 years use. Since this is the 5th year from starting with Dadant depth frames, it is time.

61 - 64 of 64 Posts