Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
There are 4 ambiguous and/or misleading questions. Anybody want to say why #18 has a problem?
What about #21?
What about #24?
What about #33?

#36 is easily answered but I would argue that pollination benefits many other agricultural endeavors and therefore is worth about twice as much as the USDA numbers. For example, what percentage of the beef industry is directly attributable to the honeybee? I would estimate about 35%. The rest is from consumption of grasses and other wind pollinated plants.

#29 re removing honey, I use a bee blower because it is the safest, most cost efficient, and most effective method available. The question is not asked that way though.

#42 re the number of drones in a hive, I've often seen several thousand in a colony especially if they have a drone comb available. If there were only 300, I would suspect something was wrong.

I wonder how you would answer #50 if the colony in question were Africanized? I don't think I would give the answer they wanted!

Fusion

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I enjoyed taking it. Since it is different everytime you take it, I think I will try to do it at least once a week for a while. Some of the trivia stuff like who invented creamed honey threw me, but that is what makes me want to do it again.

I have to admit that some of the answers are a bit subjective.

·
Premium Member
9,105 Posts
I took it about 10 times in a row......... (a gluten for punishment).

There are several reoccuring questions, but there were new questions every time.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Nope, I missed 4 questions. I could figure out the answers to most of them but I don't like ambiguous questions. For example the one about chilled brood. Thats only one example of how brood could have been chilled. If they had used "Such as splitting...." or something similar, I wouldn't have disagreed.

Fison

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Gregg Stewart reports getting 49 out of 50. So did I.
(......the second time I took the test.)

One of the questions asked about AHB being transported by plane into South Carolina. I remember reading that in 'The Speedy Bee' a few years back. They had built a nest in the wheel well of a (if I'm recalling correctly) DC-10. Because the plane was ferried at a lower than usual altitude, some of the bees survived, although many did die enroute.

As cadetman mentioned there are recurring questions. I did less well the first time--42 out of 50.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Some of the questions seemed ambiguous to me too. A few I also disagreed with BEFORE answering but gave the answer I suspected was being looked for.

Usually my test results from Clarence Collisom's column in 'Bee Culture' aren't quite as good as I did on this one.

Still not ready to take the EAS Master test.....

·
Vendor
Local feral survivors in eight frame medium boxes.
54,120 Posts
I also answered a lot of them as I suspected they wanted me to answer even though I don't agree. Like AFB and the hive tool. I think it's doubtful that very many spores are getting passed around by hive tools, but I suppose if I HAD AFB in some hives I might do that. Then again, I might just burn the hive too.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts