Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the original message from Dr. Wendy Schweigert:

I, along with Larry Krengel and a team of students from Bradley University (Peoria, IL, USA), am conducting research about beekeepers and their characteristics. The results of this research will be used to identify characteristics of those who choose to become beekeepers, to compare various subgroups of beekeepers with each other, and to compare other groups with beekeepers.

If you are 18 years or older and keep bees you are invited to be a part of this research by completing short anonymous survey about beekeepers. We are interested in new beekeepers as well as those who are experienced. Hobbyists, sideliners and commercial beekeepers are all invited to participate. The survey can be found at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/9NSWHZ5
The survey will be available online until February 14, 2010.

If you have any questions about this research please feel free to contact me, Dr. Wendy Schweigert at: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Your survey is inaccurate. Thymol is an Essential Oil not a "soft chemical" anymore then sugar is a "soft chemical" to treat nosema.

·
Registered
34,542 Posts
wasn't this already presented to us ? and not all that well received?

Duplicate Thread?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Your survey is inaccurate. Thymol is an Essential Oil not a "soft chemical" anymore then sugar is a "soft chemical" to treat nosema.
it is not my survey.

I posted to try to be helpful and I also searched for it utilizing both the thread and posts function.... Didn't return anything for survey.

·
Registered
574 Posts
And yes, I can read and know a little about bees which is why I was able to catch the glaring error in THE survey. :rolleyes:
Good catch, but keep in mind that the people who created the survey are not beekeepers... it is being done by a college psychology dept., and probably will be used in a psychology class, not a beekeeping class (hence all the political questions). So I'm willing to cut them some slack for not knowing as much about bees as you do.

Though I doubt the results of the survey will be published, it would be interresting to see the raw data in statistical format and their conclusions anyway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited by Moderator)
I don’t own a survey because I posted info about it trying to be helpful to the scientific community. I guess if I post flyers for a band coming to town, I own the band.... I need to run out and get every sports team poster I can find too....

I do own MY post on this forum which contains the survey and the information about the owner of it...But I do not own the survey.

(your comment) makes no sense as you know that sugar is not a medication in the treatment of nosema. Thymol is a pest management/disease treatment less harsh than acids and fumigants and pesticides. I guess sugar could be a treatment for starvation...

and I did say in the original post: This is the original message from Dr. Wendy Schweigert:

I, along with Larry Krengel and a team of students from Bradley University (Peoria, IL, USA), am conducting research about beekeepers and their characteristics.

I also posted her comment:

If you have any questions about this research please feel free to contact me, Dr. Wendy Schweigert at: [email protected]

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
And since you claim to be so smart: "sugar is a "soft chemical" to treat Nosema" (your comment) makes no sense as you know that sugar is not a medication in the treatment of nosema.
I have never made the claim that I am smart, but I have read studies that conclusively show that 1:1 works as well if not better then 1:1 with Fum B in the treatment of nosema. You can search the threads here and find links to such as well as a wealth of knowledge of concerning the use of Thymol in the treatment of mites as a EO. Let me know if you need help (PM me) in finding out more information concerning studies regarding non-chemical treatments for your bees, always willing to help.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Interesting with the political and relegion questions posed in there.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Interesting with the political and relegion questions posed in there.
I've often wonder about these aspects myself. I also wonder of their are any Black/African American, Asian, full blooded Native American, (etc) Beekeepers here or if like the few bee meetings I have been to it is mostly Caucasian males and then Caucasian females. When I went to farm programs with my grandparents here in MO, most folks were white folks.
Just curious.:scratch:
RKR
PS I'm just a regular white guy.

·
Registered
574 Posts
How do you arrive at this conclusion? I DO know that Larry Krengel IS a beekeeper. I have met the man. You'll also find him listed here:

http://www.ebeehoney.com/zIL.html
I stand corrected... I didn't know anything about Larry but I do know that Dr. Wendy Schweigert is an environmental psychology professor and thus I guess that this survey would be created with that perspective in mind. To the best of my knowlege, Dr. Wendy Schweigert does not keep bees (I suppose I could be wrong about that because I don't know her personally, never met her, etc.) but nothing I can find about her says otherwise.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I read the questions in the survey, and the older thread. I can sorta see how the religious stuff can play into it. I think what tweaks me a bit is the political questions. Unless I missed something, the survey basically asks if you are a republican, or if you vote republican or conservative...if you answer no then by default does that make you a liberal and a democrat? I have no problem answering questions for someone who wants to study the demographics of beeks. Indeed I would find such a study very interesting. I do have a problem with a flawed survey that may end up with my answers being skewed or even worse, and then presented as fact. I think the feeling that the survey was baised comes from the inability of the person taking the survey to be clear in their answer. I, for example,vote in every election, for every office, local state and federal but I seldom vote republicain. However, I never ever never vote democrat and I would be horrified to think that by answering that question with the possible choices provided the researcher would mark me down as a democrat voter (no offense to any democrats, just is not how I vote). At any rate, I may go back and actually fill out the survey anyway..I'm a sucker for a questionaire, and my religion answers may blow their curve.

·
Registered
238 Posts
So I did go back and take the survey and you can disregard my previous rambling post. When I first read the survey it was on my blackberry and not all the questions showed up. It actually did have a place to deny being a democrat or liberal as well as republican or conservative...I still say they could have thrown us libertarian leaning independants a bone. But hey, one legged jewish cowboys were left out too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts