Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The first few times into the hive were a little "unnerving," if you will. I actually forgot to do some things when I got in there, because of the intimidation of having several thousand bees staring me in the face. Last week though, (our 3rd time into the hive) it started to get a little fun.

But today, my wife and I just completed our 4th hive inspection, and I just have to say that it was just plain fun!

As we learn more about bees, and as we continue to educate ourselves about this expensive "hobby," it becomes even more fun. My wife "mans" the smoker and camera, as I manipulate things in the hive. We are learning how bees respond to "too much smoke" and other things that they don't like. As we make the mistakes and learn why certain things aren't good to do, it becomes more enjoyable and "fun" to work with the bees.

And, as we start to harvest some honey, it is even more "fun." My only regret with beekeeping is that I didn't start about 20 years ago.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
And, as we start to harvest some honey, it is even more "fun." My only regret with beekeeping is that I didn't start about 20 years ago.
You can say that again brother. I find building the equipment just as fun. As well as buying all sorts of stuff that I might need in the future. Like 59 board-man feeders and 70 Drone frames and 1000 deep wood frames. Now all I need is for the darn things to multiply enough to fill all this equipment I have under the eaves of the house.

I have negotiated with two people to let me use their properties to place hives. Not sure I am doing it correctly one wants me to cut his 26 acres and then I can place as many hives as I want. I am thinking 50 would be a good growth number.

So I think my obsessive compulsive is getting filled by this hobby. :eek:

·
Registered
185 Posts
"this expensive "hobby"....I was at a sports store the other day and found a single golf clob, a titanium driver that cost more than i have spent so far, buying all my wooden ware ect., for ..4 hives! A buddy of mine is into raceing "CHEAP" race cars...he has spent 5 times as much! Where people just starting in this hobby should spend "LOTS" of money is books!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mike,

I guess that some people, like me, can make it expensive. I dove in and bought a "deluxe garden hive," and air nailers, and other things that have made it more expensive than it had to be, but I'm not complaining about the expense. I'm having fun!

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Well, apparently you guys have never painted a bunch of screened bottom boards.....I HATE doing those!:D All kidding aside, it is a very fun and enjoyable hobby.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Tom, actually as far as hobbies go.. My dear hubbies hobby is Tournament bass fishing. Just small local tournaments, but still.. His boat is $12,000 and it is cheap.. A single reel costs more than a nuc. He tends to fish with eight or nine poles on the deck at a time. I am fairly convinced that if I had any clue how much money went into spinner baits, crank baits, buzz baits, and plastics I would have a coronary. (we keep seperate financials)

My brother races hobby stock race cars. The car was $4000, every Friday night's race is $30 to enter. Even if you win you only get $25 prize.

I figure I have the cheap hobby. Even with all my bee purchases.

Wow.. rereading that makes me sound less like a lower middle class income and more like an upper middle class income.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, Y'all are helping me get the proper perspective here. I guess the way I was looking at it was that after having spent about $800 to get set up, I was going to have to sell quite a few "honey bears" of honey to recoup my initial investment. But, I can see from some of the posts, that comparatively speaking, beekeeping isn't so expensive.

Now I feel better about all the money I've spent getting into this, and I will even have more fun!!! :D

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mike Snodgrass is right a new beekeeper should spend money on books. some books to buy
and this is a ever growing list.
The Hive and the Honey Bee by Joe M Graham. Beekeeping For Dumbies by Howland Blackiston, The Back Yard Beekeeper by Kim Flottum. keeping Bees And Making Honey by Alison Benjermin & Brian McCallum. And ABC's and XYZ's Of Bee Culture. Hive management by Richard E. Bonney, Natural Beekeeping by Ross Conrad.
these books are what I read befor I got my bees from them I learned that these Authors have good foundation and agrement of proper beekeeping. These books over lap alot but also complement each other too.
Read these book and really open your love of beekeeping

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Yes but if they did that there would be far fewer posts on here!!:D

Also: The how to do it book of beekeeping by Richard Taylor!! A Classic.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I guess the way I was looking at it was that after having spent about $800 to get set up, I was going to have to sell quite a few "honey bears" of honey to recoup my initial investment. But, I can see from some of the posts, that comparatively speaking, beekeeping isn't so expensive.
Wait until you need extracting equipment. I am up to 35 or so hives. Will probably add another tonight when we go get this swarm I just got a call about. Maybe will hit 50 at the end of the season going into winter. We will see.

Probably spent 1500 last year and 2k or so this year so far. I got a couple gallons of honey so far. But, when all these hives produce I am going to have some issues. Good issues but, will have to learn how to market and sell etc. I could have some serious amounts of honey when the weather turns better.

·
Registered
23 Posts
We're $500 into our first hive.

My son is 10 yrs old and said, "Bees are cool... I'm gonna take this 4-H project". I said, "OK". No clue what we were getting into. No regrets!

Next year, I may want my own hive. I am just "support staff" on this one! He's doing remarkably well, no fear. More than ever, he thinks "Bees are cool"!

BTW - Thanks OSU & Dept of Ag for the 4-H Beekeeping Start-Up Grant!!

·
Registered
281 Posts
The trick to cheap beekeeping is to wait until the wife asks for a project that requires a tool that can be used to make beekeeping equipment. Assign the cost of said tool to the wife's project. Then one doesn't have an expensive hobby, you have an expensive wife.

I planted pine trees 16 years ago, cut a few last year, used a Granberg chainsaw mill to make lumber, built the supers, frames, etc. I even made my smoker from some used propane/butane campingaz canisters. I work hard at maintaining the illusion that this is a cheap, nay profitable!, hobby.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The trick to cheap beekeeping is to wait until the wife asks for a project that requires a tool that can be used to make beekeeping equipment. Assign the cost of said tool to the wife's project. Then one doesn't have an expensive hobby, you have an expensive wife.
QUOTE]

That sounds like a good trick! I'll have to try that one. :D

·
Registered
92 Posts
Is the government going to have us get permits for each bee? Or maybe 15 day waiting period for a bee stinger? Just kidding. These bees are just fun. But don't tell the government. Keep the buzz going.
Jbees

1 - 20 of 51 Posts