Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What is in the beekeeping hobby for you?

• Beekeeping is "kinda cool"

Votes: 17 29.8%
  • Honey (including sales)

Votes: 39 68.4%
  • Other bee product (including sales)

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Therapeutic effect of beekeeping

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Wood working and equipment construction related to beekeeping

Votes: 24 42.1%
  • Mental stimulation and problem solving related to beekeeping

Votes: 32 56.1%
  • Bee breeding (including TF breeding)

Votes: 8 14.0%
  • Pollination (including sales)

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Extra income

Votes: 10 17.5%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • Backyard science project(s)

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • Bee production and sales

Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Queen production and sales

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • Youtube/blog content production

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Saving the bees from dying

Votes: 2 3.5%
  • Swarm catching related to beekeeping

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Backyard decoration

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Satisfaction of the personal curiosity

Votes: 39 68.4%
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Someone from Wisconsin. (It is a Wisconsin thing, you wouldn't understand..._)
I am not from wisconsin, but I live here. It is different.
I am well aware of the loyalty. I am old enough to see the Seahawks come into existence in 1976 and saw Jim Zorn and Steve Largent driving around Washington and Oregon garnering fan base.

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
So, why do you really keep bees as a hobbyist?
Cool poll, Greg. I've enjoyed reading the replies. I think the mental health benefits of working/watching bees and intellectual challenge of trying to have some inkling of understanding about this fascinating superorganism are what are most satisfying to me. Maybe I should take up ant or termite farming instead...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Family tradition. My grandfather was a beekeeper. As was his father, and his father before that. My own father was the skipped generation, but my son is now carrying on another generation.

·
Registered
406 Posts
One day my SIL said "hey, will you come to a beginner bee class, I don't want to go alone". I need to be learning/ researching something new all the time, don't know why, but I do. I did not know going in that beekeeping is a vast subject and the learning never stops, win, win.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
Well, the "Satisfaction of the personal curiosity" is winning so far (by a nose, but still).
The "Mental stimulation" seems to have settled into the third so far (those construction-minded points are the close 4th - just as well another "mental" related thing or so about).

But what's with the honey?
Shouldn't it be the honey winning hands down - high and above and beyond reach?
:)

Took a snapshot as of this date stamp and 34 total votes - in case things change.

Circle Event Font Electric blue Pattern

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, the "Satisfaction of the personal curiosity" is winning so far (by a nose, but still).
The "Mental stimulation" seems to have settled into the third so far (those construction-minded points are the close 4th - just as well another "mental" related thing or so about).

But what's with the honey?
Shouldn't it be the honey winning hands down - high and above and beyond reach?
:)

Took a snapshot as of this date stamp and 34 total votes - in case things change.

View attachment 67101
Isn't 'Honey" the most work? I am starting my first hives this spring. Honey isn't really near the top of the list of reasons why I'm starting.

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
It depends whether you are hourly or salary...
Even the salary - the accounting still converts to "by the hour".

Now I get it - I still remember those times where you'd work 60 hours to still get your 40-hour-week paycheck.
It may happen again.
But overall, I still prefer the office job to those construction people working outside just about now (see them daily).

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
But overall, I still prefer the office job to those construction people working outside just about now (see them daily).
No doubt- it cuts both ways. Just having a little fun.

I remember as an adolescent saying to myself, "I'm going to get me one of them educations, so I don't have to break my back like my dad does."

Today I find myself sitting at the computer and opining, "Man, I'd love to be outside digging a ditch right about now."

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
OK, so out of 42 responses we can see that the beekeeping hobby is mostly about the mental gymnastics as far as the Western hobbyists are concerned.
Good to know.
Probably pretty close to the reality.

Even though the Honey is still a strong factor, it is not as strong as it would have been 100-200 years ago.
Problem of sweetener shortage has been solved and not such a big deal.

Circle Event Font Electric blue Pattern

·
Registered
828 Posts
This could be the case. I do like having the honey, but to give away in jars to my neighbors and friends -- not all neighbors are friends, and not all friends are neighbors..... ;) -- Everyone is very appreciative and that kinda makes me feel good, so maybe the honey is a little higher than I voted.:unsure:

·
Registered
8,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
This could be the case. I do like having the honey, but to give away in jars to my neighbors and friends -- not all neighbors are friends, and not all friends are neighbors..... ;) -- Everyone is very appreciative and that kinda makes me feel good, so maybe the honey is a little higher than I voted.:unsure:
lemmje, you can go back and modify your vote.
But what would you change if anything?
Just vote to the best of your feeling and it is what it is.
Things will average out.

I would say that custom batch honey is a special niche and is a worthwhile subject.
This is something I am definitely after in my pursuits.
So "Honey" is still a check for me.

It is when everything is dumped into a single barrel and stirred up (and, God forbid, heated and ultra-filtered) - it becomes faceless, generic sweetener and how most people know the "honey".
It becomes low value product and how the Chinese fake honey is then able to blend in and make it onto the US shelves - because it is easy to blend in with faceless, generic sweeteners.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I guess in parens it does say including sales. That's what I would have voted -- and i will go add it to my vote -- but when i first read this i missed that part. Honey is important to me, but not as a money maker.

Reactions: GregB

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,980 Posts
OK, so out of 42 responses we can see that the beekeeping hobby is mostly about the mental gymnastics as far as the Western hobbyists are concerned.
Good to know.
Probably pretty close to the reality.

Even though the Honey is still a strong factor, it is not as strong as it would have been 100-200 years ago.

View attachment 67177
devils advocate.......
I Disagree with the study
you are stating "beekeeping Hobby"
Really ,,,you surveyed the Beesource Users group. subtle but different.
I would argue any people who are still here,, are into doing mental Gymnastics, some even have bees.

The beekeepers are out keeping their bees, and would not necessary even be a member.
Ergo tilted group selection.

just kidding
good show on the thread Greg.

Nice to see what makes folks tick

GG

21 - 40 of 50 Posts