Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

What is in the beekeeping hobby for you?

• Beekeeping is "kinda cool"

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Honey (including sales)

Votes: 34 69.4%
  • Other bee product (including sales)

Votes: 13 26.5%
  • Therapeutic effect of beekeeping

Votes: 16 32.7%
  • Wood working and equipment construction related to beekeeping

Votes: 21 42.9%
  • Mental stimulation and problem solving related to beekeeping

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • Bee breeding (including TF breeding)

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Pollination (including sales)

• Extra income

• Other (specify)

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • Backyard science project(s)

Votes: 11 22.4%
  • Bee production and sales

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Queen production and sales

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • Youtube/blog content production

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Saving the bees from dying

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • Swarm catching related to beekeeping

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Backyard decoration

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Satisfaction of the personal curiosity

Votes: 36 73.5%
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty soon here (weeks?) our local vendors will be pushing the bee sales for the 2022.

As usually, a bunch of new beeks will buy their own first package or a nuc.
But a lot of these people never really gave it a thought - WHY is it they are getting the bees.
One typical response - be kinda cool to have a hive in my backyard.
So yeah, that "kinda cool" non-answer is rather common. :)

Presently there is no pressing need to be getting few jars of honey anyway (as if they are impossible to get otherwise).
Also, now days you can not really make good money selling some gallons of honey to justify the efforts.

So, why do you really keep bees as a hobbyist?

This poll is only for those who consider themselves a hobbyist (no matter how many hives).
Questions and answers may overlap/complement/contradict - this is not a scientific study and, thus, OK.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Also, now days you can not really make good money selling some gallons of honey to justify the efforts.
I guess that really depends on your definition of 'good money'. I'm sure there are a lot here that would consider the income we make from our beekeeping hobby to be 'good money', and others that consider it 'pocket change'.

the one thing missing from your list of choices is the social aspect of it. Thru our local and provincial associations I have met some great folks that I consider good friends today. At the same time, also met a few that are absolute jerks.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
It's just fun. Been interested in bees since I found an old bee book in my uncle's bookshelf, I was maybe 9 years old.

·
Registered
161 Posts
The “other” that I selected was for fascination of the species and fun.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's just fun. Been interested in bees since I found an old bee book in my uncle's bookshelf, I was maybe 9 years old.
But "fun" in what way?
"Fun" is just another way to give non-answers. :)

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The “other” that I selected was for fascination of the species and fun.
Again - "fun" is a non-answer.

Added this term - "Satisfaction of the personal curiosity"
Will this satisfy the "fascination" specification?

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't wreck bee-keeping by over analyzing....... :^)

Just Bee!
Just go down the prepared list and check, check, check....
What is there to analyze? :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
the one thing missing from your list of choices is the social aspect of it. Thru our local and provincial associations I have met some great folks that I consider good friends today. At the same time, also met a few that are absolute jerks.
Agreed. Also, when I wear my bee t-shirts (most of mine are) it is a good conversation starter, even with people who are not beekeepers. Always fun talking bees. :)

·
Registered
824 Posts
Always fun talking bees. :)
I know, i know, I am quoting myself. Ugh. But, I wrote that before I read GregB -- BTW, i do not like your avatar..... I mean, who would use an NFL logo?!? :p --

I see you said "fun" is a non answer, which I agree, which is why I wrote what I wrote in the quote above.

• Haha
Reactions: GregB

·
Registered
358 Posts
-- BTW, i do not like your avatar..... I mean, who would use an NFL logo?!? :p --
Someone from Wisconsin. (It is a Wisconsin thing, you wouldn't understand..._)
I am not from wisconsin, but I live here. It is different.
Someone who wasn't afraid of copyright infringement.
GregB

·
Registered
358 Posts
To answer your survey...
TO get enough honey for myself and my extended family and friends.
To figure out better ways to keep bees - a real challenge.
To experience the Dunning - Kreuger effect for myself in real life (Since I am an actual expert in everything else).

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I mean, who would use an NFL logo?!?
Once the NFL season is done, I will return my logo to regular beekeeping programming. :D
But will you? LOL

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am not from wisconsin, but I live here. It is different.
Not from WI originally as well.
But only here I felt that special thing about the local NFL team.
It is different here, for sure - in a good way.

·
Premium Member
2nd year Beeks expanding on a combination of wooden ware and Apimaye
7 Posts
Bees are a little like pets- it’s rewarding to take responsibility for an organism in return for a chance to share some time and space with them. I also keep ants- they don’t even make honey. But it is wonderful to just watch them work! It’s also fun to hunt for mated queens, and way less ladder work than swarm calls!

And by fun, I mean, a reason to be out in nature and maybe learn a thing or two.

·
Registered
5 ,8 ,10 frame, and long Lang
3,925 Posts
Presently there is no pressing need to be getting few jars of honey anyway (as if they are impossible to get otherwise).
I must declare this is your opinion. Leading the witness,

Some make a living so it may be enough for them. I know you said hobby,, what better to be paid for your hobby...

And there is nothing like your own honey. I spose I could say you can get apples and plums many places why have the trees. There's pressing need , there is desire, other reasons.
O and there is
"I'ts kind cool" to have your own honey.

GG

·
Registered
824 Posts
But will you? LOL
This actually has always been my pic, is my pic in zoom for work also. You do know I was joking, right?

I was born in Washington and grew up in Oregon and have been a Seahawks fan from the beginning when I met Jim Zorn at a car dealership in Tri-Cities when I was 11. He threw me the football. Won me over on the spot.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts