Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If someone has seen both editions...

I'm curious to know if the 2nd Edition of "Beekeeping For Dummies" promotes chemical treatments as much as the first edition. Or is it simply presenting "both sides"?

Does it really say the following on the cover?

"Explore the theories behind and the environmental, economic, and societal impact of Colony Collapse Syndromet" :scratch:

·
Registered
254 Posts
I hope not! Dummies was the book our local club used to teach new beeks. I'm co-teaching this year's class and have changed the book to Kim Flottum's, The Backyard Beekeeper. We're also suggesting the students purchase Ross Conrad's book, Natural Beekeeping. While it's important to let new students know about chemical treatment vs a natural approach to raising bees, I felt the old text was over the top. It will be interesting to see what the class chooses for their own apiaries.

John

·
Registered
939 Posts
There is a link on my Landscape design page that will lead to the 2nd edition book. It has been updated from 2002 to 2009. 7 years is quite a difference plus 56 more pages to read.

The promotion of chemicals has been greatly reduced in this book and he calls it IPM (integrated pest management). Unfortunately, some problems require chemicals to cure, other than fire.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Does it really say the following on the cover?

"Explore the theories behind and the environmental, economic, and societal impact of Colony Collapse Syndromet" :scratch:
No, my new copy of the 2nd edition says: "_______impact of Colony Collapse Disorder" on the cover.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts